Home Open Account Help 312 users online

European Railroad Discussion > More from Slovakia

Date: 07/14/22 04:31
More from Slovakia
Author: 86235

A few more tram pics and some of the mainline railways we saw on our all too brief long weekend.

1: The old town is dominated by Bratislava Castle, which today houses a museum. It's less forbidding close up
2: Another shot of the tunnel under the castle with a pair of Tatra T6A5s emerging clothed in a chocolate and cream livery promoting Magnum ice creams and not in homage to the Great Western Railway.
3: Another pair of T6A5s leaving the Chatam Sofer stop on the banks of the Danube.

Date: 07/14/22 04:45
Re: More from Slovakia

After spending Friday wandering around Bratislava we picked up a hire car and headed north on Saturday to Žilina. But rather than follow the motorway and mainline along the broad valley of the River Váh we headed east to Nitra before turning north, following the secondary non-electrified line towards Prievidza.
4: This is one of the REX (Regional Express) services linking Bratislava with Prievidza passing the churchyard in Hrušovany. The loco is a class 757, rebuilt by ZOS Zvolen with a modern Caterpillar engine and Siemens alternators but retaining the original traction motors. 
5: When we reached Prievidza I was lucky to see a pair of ZSSK Cargo class 751s - the iconic Bardotkas - returning to the depot to be stabled. I assume they may have been working coal trains from the mines around Prievidza to the Novaky generating station
6: Built by CKD between 1964 and 1971 the locos retain their builders plate and the CKD herald on the side. The side on profile gave rise to their nickname

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/22 04:46 by 86235.

Date: 07/14/22 04:53

7: Local services from Prievidza are in the hands of these relatively modern class 861 Regiomover DMUs. This is the 14:41 to Vrútky waiting to leave.
8: Emerging from the tunnel and crossing the Vah is ZSSK class 350 017-0 on IC44 07:11 Košice to Vienna, a train I travelled on back in April 2019. A limited stop service with a limited load of just three second class cars, a restaurant car and a single first class car. Btw this is not a single track railway, the bridge carrying the other track across the Váh and in to the tunnel is out of sight on the right.
9: Branchline service in Slovakia is often in the hands of class 811 rail buses, like this on the 08:43 Žilina to Rajec.

Date: 07/14/22 07:14
Author: dwatry

#8 and #9 are excellent shots!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/14/22 08:40
Author: kurtarmbruster

Thanks very much for these neat scenes of places I'll never see.

Date: 07/14/22 14:32
Author: ironmtn

An excellent set, Nick, along with your previous post showing trams in Bratislava. Very interesting motive power and trains, and nice composition to show them off. Your travels to eastern Europe are always a gold mine of interesting rail lines, services and trains. Much appreciated!

MC

Date: 07/15/22 00:23

kurtarmbruster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks very much for these neat scenes of places
> I'll never see.

ironmtn Wrote:
> An excellent set, Nick, along with your previous
> post showing trams in Bratislava. Very interesting
> motive power and trains
>
> MC

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/22 00:25 by 86235.

Date: 07/15/22 07:00
Author: GettingShort

Very nice, a Goggle Cab and a Grumpy.

Date: 07/17/22 05:14
Author: march_hare

The trolley in tunnel pic is superb. 

Date: 07/18/22 10:28

march_hare Wrote:
> The trolley in tunnel pic is superb. 

Thanks, possibly my favourite

Date: 07/18/22 13:03
Author: PasadenaSub

Great group of photos from Slovakia.

Rich

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0589 seconds