Home Open Account Help 211 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Why all the bicycles?

Date: 08/11/22 08:22
Why all the bicycles?
Author: bandob

During our 2012 trip to the UK, we noted a number of bicycles at several railway stations. These are in Paddington Station, London, but we saw similar numbers in York.  Do these belong to people who ride the train in and then bicycle to work?

Thanks,

B&OBill

Date: 08/11/22 09:48
Re: Why all the bicycles?
Author: sarailfan

I'm currently visiting the Netherlands and the train stations probably have more bike parking than car parking. The infrastructure is set up for much easier travel by bicycle or foot as opposed to the automobile focused North American approach. We took a day trip into Rotterdam; cycled to the station, locked up the bikes and walked around the big city. So yes, parked by train riders for sure!

Posted from Android

Darren Boes
Lethbridge, AB
Southern Alberta Railfan

Date: 08/11/22 12:00
Author: tramfan

Copenhagen in Denmark has bike storage double stacked at Osterport train station for one. Copenhagen even has seperate bike lanes with their own traffic signals.

Date: 08/11/22 15:52
Author: 86235

bandob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do these belong to people who
> ride the train in and then bicycle to work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> B&OBill

The short answer is yes, there are limits placed on bringing your bike into London on rush hour trains, so people keep a second bike at stations like Paddington to cycle too and from their offices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/22 15:53 by 86235.

Date: 08/14/22 01:52
Author: Hartington

Some people also cycle to/from their "home" station so you find similar collections there. I've sometimes wondered whether some people cycle at both ends of theor train jpurney. Some must!

Date: 08/15/22 14:42
Author: 86235

Hartington Wrote:
> I've sometimes wondered whether some people cycle
> at both ends of theor train jpurney. Some must!

Many do, I knew people at work who had two bikes, their best one at their home station, their second bike at the station near their work location. I cycled at both ends, but because I was reverse commuting I could take my bike with me.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/22 14:45 by 86235.

Date: 08/16/22 08:16
Author: symph1

You see the same thing at many Japanese train stations.

Date: 08/16/22 11:09
Author: exhaustED

This is how most of the civilised world works! There must be some US cities/towns like this?!

Date: 08/16/22 13:59
Author: Lackawanna484

exhaustED Wrote:
> This is how most of the civilised world works!
> There must be some US cities/towns like this?!

Many NJ Transit stations have bike lockers available for use. Some are enclosed, and lockable. Don't know the current cost, you used to be able to rent them by the month.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0408 seconds