Home Open Account Help 317 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Reply to Question of Chain-activated Signals in Slovenia

Date: 09/02/22 06:53
Reply to Question of Chain-activated Signals in Slovenia
Author: gbmott

Lackawanna484 questioned the chain-connected signals in the display at the museum in Ljubljana, so here are more photos as well as a video of a young staff member exercising the signals (not at my request, I just happened onto him as he was doing it).
Gordon

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/02/22 07:58
Re: Reply to Question of Chain-activated Signals in Slovenia
Author: 86235

I've seen signals like that in use in Slovakia, derived from Hungarian practise?

Date: 09/02/22 09:36
Author: Lackawanna484

Thank you. That's fascinating.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/02/22 14:48
Author: gbmott

A couple more shots.
Gordon

Date: 09/03/22 08:42
Author: Hexagon789

It's a German design, once used on many secondary lines.

The lever frame was mounted on the platform, rather than in its own building. The stationmaster would change the points.

Some of the levers would perform the dual function of changing both points/switches and their protecting signals as moved through their rotating axis.

I have seen a write-up explaining it all in more detail, I'll see if I can find it

Posted from Android

Date: 09/04/22 09:06
Author: PHall

Cables and chains have to be easier to operate and maintain then the pipes (rods). Lighter weight for starters.

Date: 09/04/22 11:10
Author: TAW

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cables and chains have to be easier to operate and
> maintain then the pipes (rods). Lighter weight for
> starters.

I found that on long pulls, the pipeline is a help rather than a hinderance if you learn to use the momentum - get the iron moving and keep it moving. I don't know about the longevity of wires, but I had an opportunity to pull a lineup on a machine as pictured and was warned to never stand directly behind the lever as one might for a pipe connected machine, (and the guy in the picture is doing) but rather operate the lever standing to the side so that if the whire breaks while you are pulling, it doesn't hit you.

TAW

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0391 seconds