Home Open Account Help 322 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Slovakia Part 4 — new tram/bike/foot bridge over the Danube

Date: 11/19/22 18:59
Slovakia Part 4 — new tram/bike/foot bridge over the Danube
Author: gobbl3gook

Very nice bridge over the Danube in the city center of Bratislava.  

Portland's Tilikum Bridge is much heralded by Portlanders, but this is a *much* more comfortable and safer bridge for bicycling.  

Bratislava, Slovakia.  October 2019

Date: 11/19/22 19:03
Re: Slovakia Part 4 — new tram/bike/foot bridge over the Danube

Detail shots -- 

4) Trackage on the south approach.  The trams are narrow gauge, but, the bridge is built for dual gauge.  There was likely a plan to add standard gauge trams to the city's fleet.  This crossover will become more complicated...  

5) complex foot/bike/tram junction at the south end of the bridge

6) Very pretty Belvederes on the bridge.  2 on each side, I think.  

Date: 11/19/22 19:09

Bonus photos, River traffic.  

7) Riverboats in the Danube seem improbably long.  

8) They take a while to go under a bridge.  Kind of like watching a freight train go by.  

9) River Cruise boat

Date: 11/19/22 19:12

10) River Cruise Bosts tie up two abreast.  I think passengers just walk right through the bank side boats to get to and from the riverside boats.  

11) Same boats. Different angle.  

12) Another section of dual gauge tram track.  I don't recall seeing any standard gauge trams.  

Date: 11/20/22 09:32
Author: 86235

gobbl3gook Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 12) Another section of dual gauge tram track.  I
> don't recall seeing any standard gauge trams.  
There aren't any but at one time the city authorities were planning to convert to standard gauge, so in anticipation, when new tracks were laid they were dual gauge. They had an idea that they would run trains over tram tracks, presumably using tram-trains, but nothing happened and the network remains metre gauge.

Date: 11/25/22 14:50
Author: E25

Thanks for the nice views.  The last time I visited Bratislava was in 1967!  Nice mix of castles, fortresses, etc. with the modern world.

Greg Stadter
Phoenix, AZ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds