Home Open Account Help 208 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Ukraine 2019 Part 2 — Batovo Passenger Station

Date: 12/08/22 18:08
Ukraine 2019 Part 2 — Batovo Passenger Station
Author: gobbl3gook

After watching the action from the footbridge, I made my way over to the station.  

My destination for the day, Mukachevo, was about 25 km away.  I figured I'd find an atm, get some cash, and take a local EMU train.  

(I had been to this part of Ukraine two years previous, and was already familiar with the train systems.  Though I had only been to the more mountainous parts of this line). 

1) Freight train rolling through, east/northbound. Stopping at the station.  

2) Very classy streamlined DMU rolling in from the east on the non electrified line along the Hungarian/Romanian border.

3) DMU headed west, likely to Chop, or maybe Uzhorod?  

I'll add more details in a wrap-up post.  

Batovo, Ukraine.  October 2019.  

Ted in OR.  

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 12/08/22 18:13
Re: Ukraine 2019 Part 2 — Batovo Passenger Station

4, 5, 6). Train boards in the station.  

Maybe GettingShort or someone else can decipher the local trains.  

The white-background board is overnight trains.  Uzhorrid is the "YXr..." word.  Most common other end points are Kyiv, Odesa and Lviv.  

Date: 12/08/22 18:18

7) The waiting room was small and plain. 

8) 28 degrees!  88 F. A very nice day for Oct 20 or so.  

9) A streamlined EMU came in from Mukachevo.  

Date: 12/08/22 18:26

10) Local folks getting off the local train.  All train stations in Ukraine were busy.  Unfortunately it's a commentary of how the roads are poor, and many people not being able to afford cars.  But, on the other hand, trains were frequent, low cost and reliable.  

11) Bonus photo, small town housing in Ukraine.  I suspect these apartments are worn out mechanically, but they are still pretty full.  Ukraine hadn't had the massive rush to the cities that the US had in the 1960s through 1990s.  Certainly there are a lot more railroad workers in each Ukrainian town than a typical US town.  

11) cropped zoom shot of the DMU coming in.  

12) A worker was out putting fresh white paint on the edges of the station platforms.  I have a personal preference for a witld with painted concrete, rather than the embedded colored plastic or tile on Western European stations.  

Questions, comments, observations?  

Ted in OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/22 18:46 by gobbl3gook.

Date: 12/08/22 18:44

13, 14) bonus photos 

Date: 12/11/22 18:21
Author: Latebeans

An interesting series on a part of the world that few of us have seen, but one that is constantly in the news.  I hope the U.S. and Europe maintains their support for these brave people.

Date: 12/12/22 21:03
Author: wabash2800

Thanks much for sharing your photos and commentary. Is (was) this part of Ukraine occupied by the Russians? 

Victor B.

Date: 12/13/22 10:42
Author: MP190

Great pics, thanks for sharing!

Were you cycle touring the area?  If so, how were road conditions and driver behaviors for bicycles?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0521 seconds