Home Open Account Help 278 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Question about Donetsk, Ukraine

Date: 02/05/23 10:37
Question about Donetsk, Ukraine
Author: GN1969

Would any reader know if the Russians are using the railway line from Donetsk south to Volnovakha, the junction of line south to Mariupol and west to Crimea?

Various maps including openrailwaymap.com show the middle section of the Donetsk to Volnovakha line as inactive, mothballed, etc. This section crosses the pre-2022 border between Russian and Ukrainian controlled territory. It is now in Russian controlled territory. This section would appear to be to be a critical link for the Russians to link the Donbas with Crimea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/23 10:38 by GN1969.

Date: 02/05/23 20:33
Re: Question about Donetsk, Ukraine
Author: up833

I cant answer your question but from what i understand the Kirch RR bridge is still under repair so no traffic that way. One of those accidental fires caused by Russians playing with matches again within the last couple of days, burned part of the plant where steel girders are made up for the bridge. So if trains are not using the bridge it stands to reason that traffic is coming on lines you asked about.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/05/23 20:47
Author: dan

just saw that trains in the highly contested section are fodder for saboteours russians offensive is underway to get it under control or something , i'll reread that later

Date: 02/06/23 00:11
Author: ts1457

I thought that the Crimea rail bridge was back in limited use while full repairs were being made, If I am wrong, I'd like to see a report about it.

The line in question looks like it would be still under fire control by the Ukrainian's. If the Russians are able to push them back, I would expect them to give priority to reopening the line. This is conjecture. My search for current information did not find anything.

Date: 02/06/23 13:16
Author: Lackawanna484

ts1457 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought that the Crimea rail bridge was back in
> limited use while full repairs were being made, If
> I am wrong, I'd like to see a report about it.
>
>(SNIP)

Several months ago there were reports that one track on the Kirch Bridge was in use. The other track was out of service as the support structure had buckled in the fire

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0283 seconds