Home Open Account Help 317 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Sheffield UK Morning Train Change

Date: 05/01/23 16:08
Sheffield UK Morning Train Change
Author: erielackawanna

I went back and forth on whether I'd post these images or not. The lighting was against me, but I really had a blast shooting here so thought, what the heck. I was traveling with the family from London to Liverpool with a train change in Sheffield. On the original schedule we had five minutes between trains, so I didn't even bother looking at Sheffield on line. I just figured we'd cross the platform from one train to another. But our inbound train was late and our connecttion was cancelled, giving us around thirty minutes between trains. It was still early in the day, around 8AM, and the sun was too low for the platform canopies. I had no idea what anything was. I just ran around shooting pictures like a madman until my train came. When I got back to the family, my wife asked if I had fun. I thought about it and said, "damn right... love this place."

First image is of two sets of Northern Railways Class 150s awaiting their next assignment, while a third train works its way up the platofrm.

Second image is of a Class 158 set heading out to Leeds.

Third image is a Cross Country Class 221 on its way to Ediburgh.

Date: 05/01/23 16:11
Re: Sheffield UK Morning Train Change
Author: erielackawanna

Fourth image is of the Edinburgh train leaving and entering the tunnels north of the station.

Fifth image is a train from Leeds to Lincoln Central that came in heading south and then left heading back north.

Sixth image is our East Midlands Regional to Liverpool. This train came in heading north and then left heading south. (I will one day need to figure all this out... I kept getting surprised by trains going back out from the way they came in.)

Date: 05/01/23 21:56
Author: Rattie

London to Liverpool via Sheffield!  Talk about riding a train taking the long way.

Date: 05/02/23 00:26
Author: railsmith

erielackawanna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Sixth image is our East Midlands Regional to
> Liverpool. This train came in heading north and
> then left heading south. (I will one day need to
> figure all this out... I kept getting surprised by
> trains going back out from the way they came in.)

The full service originates at Norwich, but a few earlier morning trains from Sheffield start at Nottingham.

1R58 starts at Nottingham at 07:45, departs Sheffield at 08:45 and arrives Liverpool Lime Street at 10:29.

The next train, 1R60, starts at Norwich at 05:49, departs Sheffield at 09:43 and arrives Lime Street at 11:29.

Check this out on a route map and the directional reversing at Sheffield will make sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/23 00:27 by railsmith.

Date: 05/02/23 09:53
Author: 55002

A good variety at Sheffield. Unless they actually get one of the Transpennine class 68 sets through here, there's no locos apart from freight. Those CAF 195s are the roughest riding things on rails. Chris uk.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0422 seconds