Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Chasing a star, Part 2

Date: 12/23/16 21:39
Chasing a star, Part 2
Author: cewherry

A few hours later I decided to drive down to Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal, (LAUPT as it was known then), to see what was happening.
​I had worked switch engines at the station when SP still had a midnight goat on duty there and was vaguely familiar with the territory and how to
drive right up to track level. As I did this I was surprised that there were no barricades to stop me or for that matter there were no people around either.
​I parked, grabbed my Mamiya  and strolled right up the the 4449 just 'like I owned the joint'. I mean there was ​no body there. It was just me and the '49.

​I shot these two quickly, before my luck ran out. Now I'm getting brave so I climbed into the cab. The steam gauge was at about 125 pounds and the fire had been killed.
​Shortly I noticed what appeared to be a special agent approaching from where I had parked. Quickly I dropped down the fireman's ladder and met him on the ground.
​I explained that I was an engineer on the SP and I knew my way around the railroad and certainly knew how to get on and off a locomotive which I had just demonstrated
​for his benefit. He seemed satisfied with my smooth delivery, smiled, went back to his car and drove off leaving me once again alone. I don't remember pushing my luck
​by opting for more photos since it was getting dark anyway and I didn't have my flash gun.

​Apparently the crew and others concerned with the care and grooming of the engine had decided to take a well deserved 'Beans'. But you know this would never happen today.
​There was someone else in the vicinity, the fuel truck is visible on the engineers side and it was replenishing the tender. But the driver was the only person besides me around
​that evening. Did the auxiliary U.P. tender also carry fuel?

One of those never to be repeated experiences.

​Merry Christmas to all here on TO's.

Charlie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/16 21:46 by cewherry.

Date: 12/24/16 09:59
Re: Chasing a star, Part 2
Author: tehachcond

Hi Charlie:

The auxiliary tender carried water only.  Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Brian Black
Castle Rock, CO

Date: 12/24/16 10:32
Author: UPNW2-1083

I took this photo a bit later that night at LAUPT. The friend that I was with knew the security guard and let us in the back gate. We were also the only ones around at the time and had free reign of the place.-BMT

Date: 12/24/16 11:20

UPNW2-1083 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I took this photo a bit later that night at LAUPT.
> The friend that I was with knew the security guard
> and let us in the back gate. We were also the only
> ones around at the time and had free reign of the
> place.-BMT

​When I was working with the images yesterday I noticed all but one of the smoke box door (if that is the correct name), dogs had been loosened
​before I showed up. Apparently some manner of inspection or maintenance had been done before the crews departed and I showed up.
Thanks Brian for your additional images and comments.

Charlie

Date: 12/24/16 11:31

tehachcond Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Charlie:
>
>    The auxiliary tender carried water only.
>  Merry Christmas to you and your family.
>
​Thanks Brian; BTW I know I still have that 8x10 glossy of 4449 & 9389 climbing through Hinda in January 1976. It's just that I can't find it.
Too much stuff and poor organization on my part.

Charlie

Date: 12/24/16 11:32
Author: UPNW2-1083

When we showed up, the crew had the fire box door open and were working inside. I believe they were trying to repair some of the flues that were damaged in the crossover incident on the Southern RR. They were also doing some touch up painting. We spent a couple of hours hanging around taking pictures until the crew closed the front up and left for the night.-BMT

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0546 seconds