Home Open Account Help 260 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Retire Milwaukee Iowa Div Employee Passes

Date: 02/10/17 03:04
Retire Milwaukee Iowa Div Employee Passes
Author: MILW86A

Its with great sadness that I report that my friend, Al Mangler of Sabula, Iowa passed away yesterday. He was 83. Al along with his brothers Chuck(RIP) and Lloyd worked for the Milwaukee Road out of Savanna IL.  Al was a trainman up to about late 1978 then went into engine service where he finished out his career working for the SOO Line, retiring in the early 1990's. Al was also one time the mayor of Sabula and was instrumental on getting the Milwaukee Road caboose thats sits in the park there next to the tracks. Al's son Rockie works for CP today as an engineer.  Al was also a griever for the UTU for many years as well. 

1. Photo of Al and I at Flippers in Sabula from 2014. Al s daughter Deb owns the bar and he would bartend there on Sundays. Love listening to his stories. 

2. Al hanging out the window at Delmar Iowa 1979. Thats Charlie Dannels in the cab door, on the ground is photographer Mark Llanuza and Conductor Walter Smith, 

3. Milwaukee Enginemen Roster from Savanna 1984 with Al's name on there.

RIP "Maverick". You will be missed. 

MILW86A 

Date: 02/11/17 01:20
Re: Retire Milwaukee Iowa Div Employee Passes
Author: oldbleu

Is R.A. Peterson the same person who wrote the book "Hogger"?

Date: 02/12/17 17:40
Author: MILW86A

oldbleu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is R.A. Peterson the same person who wrote the
> book "Hogger"?
>  

Sure is. I talk to him about once a month. Still kickin at 90.

MILW86A 

Date: 02/18/17 01:06
Author: oldbleu

That is great. I bought two copies of the book and gave one to my 91 year old uncle who worked for the Milwaukee
many years ago in Milwaukee. His father was a career Milwaukee engineer who spent the better part of his career
switching in the Menominee Valley. My dad worked for the Milwaukee both before and after the war.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0337 seconds