Home Open Account Help 246 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > The Special Place.

Date: 04/26/17 09:11
The Special Place.
Author: eminence_grise

When the "Canadian" operated over the CP route through the mountains of Alberta and British Columbia, it made a servicing and crew change stop at Field BC. Most passengers would take a walk around the station during the twenty minute stop.

On a sunny day, there would also be freight train crews around the station platform waiting to go on duty.

Field is a picturesque little village, however the biggest building is the CPR rest house, built in the late 1960's to a flat roof utilitarian design. Amongst the log cabins and quaint cottages which were outbuildings of the long demolished "Mount Stephen" hotel, the grey bunkhouse stands out like a sore thumb.

My friend "Louie" came to Canada from southern Italy and worked as a conductor for CP. Many of his uncles and cousins call New York City home, and his family visits to the "Big Apple" had an effect on his mannerisms. He could project a "tough guy" image. He also has a wry sense of humor.

A lady passenger on the "Canadian" was taking a stroll along the platform at Field station one day, and asked Louie what that strange grey building visible from the tracks was.

He said "That is a special place for the criminally insane. They say I killed three people but I don't remember", at which point he faked a facial twitch.

The woman hurried back to the safety of the train.

Date: 04/26/17 09:19
Re: The Special Place.
Author: YankeeDog

Spent a night in that bunkhouse courtesy of a CPR friend. Took a track speeder ride to Banff with him. Stopped in the spiral tunnels for a real close-up view.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2666 seconds