Home Open Account Help 281 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Tim Dickinson, LA area SP/UP Engineer

Date: 06/15/17 09:06
Tim Dickinson, LA area SP/UP Engineer
Author: PasadenaSub

I received an Email this morning that Tim Dickinson, a Los Angeles area engineer for Southern Pacific and later UP has retired earlier this week. Tim is also a superb HO scale model railroader and friend to our family. He hired out in the late 1970's and spent many years on his preferred assignment - working at the LATC 'Shops' yard in LA. Later assignments with the UP have included West Colton and Industry.

Congratulations, Tim and may you enjoy more time at home working with the 1/87 scale railroad!

Photo by Craig Martyn (CraigM111 here on TO).

Rich

Date: 06/15/17 09:18
Re: Tim Dickinson, LA area SP/UP Engineer
Author: bradleymckay

Congratulations to Tim on his retirement. I've attended slide shows in the past where Tim was in attendance.

Thanks for posting Rich.

Allen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/17 09:18 by bradleymckay.

Date: 06/15/17 09:19
Author: trainjunkie

Congrats Tim! You made it. You won't have to go far when you get called on duty now. LOL!

Date: 06/15/17 09:50
Author: Fredo

Just out to the garage.

Date: 06/15/17 10:06

Fredo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just out to the garage.

That is correct. :-D

Date: 06/15/17 10:30
Author: tehachcond

Congratulations, Tim. Retirement? I've been retired for almost eleven years, and I highly recommend it.

Brian Black
Castle Rock, CO

Date: 06/15/17 11:26
Author: CR3

Congratulations to one of my best friends and a guy who gave me a lot of good advice about hiring out with the Southern Pacific back in 1979. I hired out about one year behind Tim and retired in 2000 after 21 years. I was a late bloomer but I made it. All the best Tim. You deserve it.

Ray Sugg

Date: 06/15/17 15:54
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

Congratulations Tim !! you retired to get away from the Evil Empire and the Yellow Peril ! Hope you have a long and healthy retirement !! There aren't too many SP people left in the LA area. I might join the ranks of the retired one of these days !

Date: 06/15/17 18:51
Author: WP805A

I knew that Tim Dickinson was going to Retire on Tuesday 6/13/2017 As we had Dinner after working on his Layout on Saturday night 6/10/2017 , Congratulations Tim on your Retirement and I would like share 2 photo's of the 11X14 I gave him when he was on SP'S WCDOK With SP U30C 'S #7920 , #7912, #7918 at City Of Industry CA On April 5 ,1980 and at Redondo Junctoin CA

1 . SP'S WCDOK With SP U30C 'S #7920 , #7912, #7918 at City Of Industry CA On April 5,1980 .

2. SP'S WCDOK With SP U30C 'S #7920 , #7912, #7918 at Redondo Junction in Los Angeles CA .
CA On April 5 ,1980

Dave Dodds
San Dimas, CA

Date: 06/15/17 21:14
Author: DRGW5502

Congrats Tim!! I'll save all the stories for after you start getting the retirement checks.

Evan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/16/17 05:35

Dave,

I dare you to give him a print of something painted armor yellow. LOL!

Mike

Date: 06/16/17 17:48
Author: WP805A

Hi Mike, I know better than that . :)

Posted from Android

Dave Dodds
San Dimas, CA

Date: 06/17/17 00:41
Author: mwbridgwater

Wow, Tim is retiring! I've wondered a couple of times lately when that was coming. I first met Tim around 1977-78 when he was working for Don Davis at Overnight Distributing Service in Pomona - a distributor/retailer of Athern model railroad products and a couple of other brands. The place was unusual in that it was kind of a warehouse for model railroad products and not your typical hobby shop type of store. I was a few years younger than Tim, in my mid-teens.

One day, I stopped by there to buy something, and Don told me that Tim had left to hire on with the SP. It was a surprise, and I think that really got me to thinking about going for the same thing once I graduated from high school in 1980 (I had already been a committed SP fan since about age 12.). When that time came, SP's hiring had come to a halt and I never did take that path. Tim and I have continued to remain somewhat distant friends - always managing to meet up or run into each other through all these years. Congratulations, Tim!

Mark Bridgwater

Date: 06/22/17 17:33
Author: HardYellow

Tim and I were SP Simulator partners in 1979, at Cerritos. I’m sure City Of Industry will miss him.
Paul McGuffin

Date: 06/22/17 18:08
Author: MrMRL

Congrats Tim! I hope to be joining the railroad retirement community in another 28 years or so. (If they're are still conductors...)

Mr. MRL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0553 seconds