Home Open Account Help 237 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Rogoza

Date: 06/21/17 08:20
Rogoza
Author: HardYellow

Drove over to southern California from Arizona last Sunday, June 18th. Hwy-111 along the north side of the Salton Sea. The bridge at Salt Creek still says Southern Pacific. I also stopped at Old Frink to check on the Rogoaz station sign. It’s still there, but could use some paint. I pulled off the highway about 100 yards short of the Border Patrol check point to take this photo. The Captain in charge of the check point walked all the way over, in the 110 degree heat, to chew me out for not going through the check point first. I explained that I pulled off to take the photo, I would be getting back on the road then driving trough his check point. That didn’t satisfy him. He warned me not to ever pull off the road and do this again. I’ve never had a problem before. So, you guys be for-warned.

Date: 06/21/17 10:28
Re: Rogoza
Author: ble692

The couple of times I've stopped there, even when I was driving eastbound, I purposely went through the Border Patrol check point first to tell them what I was going to do, and they had me drive around the back side of their building back to the sign. Never had a problem doing it that way. After my stop, they'd had me drive back out behind the check point again and I was on my way.

Date: 06/21/17 18:22
Author: hogheaded

Well regardless of the proper procedure, I think that I'll stay away until my Hawaii suntan fades.

EO

Date: 06/21/17 20:15
Author: rrman6

What's with the signal masts less their signal heads in the distance? New signals or been taken out of service?

Date: 06/21/17 23:21
Author: Fredo

Border Patrol agents climb up on them to inspect trains. Trains are asked to "Slow roll"while being inspected.

Date: 06/22/17 03:00
Author: Railbaron

Fredo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Border Patrol agents climb up on them to inspect trains. Trains are asked to "Slow roll"while being
> inspected.

Do all trains get inspected there or just random trains? Does the dispatcher notify the train or does the border patrol office have a radio and do it themselves?

Date: 06/22/17 05:32
Author: HardYellow

Railbaron Wrote:
> Fredo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Border Patrol agents climb up on them to inspect
> trains. Trains are asked to "Slow roll"while
> being
> > inspected.
>
>
> Do all trains get inspected there or just random
> trains? Does the dispatcher notify the train or
> does the border patrol office have a radio and do
> it themselves?

Border Patrol calls the dispatcher. It’s up to Omaha. I don’t ever remember a slow roll on a Z-Train.

Date: 06/22/17 08:08
Author: UPNW2-1083

rrman6 Wrote:
> What's with the signal masts less their signal
> heads in the distance? New signals or been taken
> out of service?

This was the east end of the siding at Frink (Rogoza). The area is now double track mainline so the signals were removed. Here's a shot I took from November 2007 of the ZAILC westbound at Frink (before it was Rogoza).-BMT

Date: 06/22/17 08:53
Author: Railbaron

HardYellow Wrote:
> Border Patrol calls the dispatcher. It’s up to
> Omaha. I don’t ever remember a slow roll on a
> Z-Train.

Thank you.

Date: 06/23/17 09:49
Author: Fredo

Those are "new" signal masts.Your photo of the "old" signals is at the east end of the siding.The Border Patrol inspection platforms are west of the Rogoza sign which is about where you were when you took the photo of the NS locomotive. I have had the Border Patrol come on the radio and told to highball the inspection on other than Z trains. Possibly they were too busy,short handed,or didn't feel like doing it because of the heat or weather. I have had them board the engine as were were slow rolling by so they could walk through the engines as they know all the hiding places.Sometimes they have had a class of new hire agents and they are doing their student trips there.One evening about five of them came up as we were rolling west in the siding. As we were stopping at the west end of the siding the east bound we were meeting was going by on the main track, one of the agents got off from the fireman's side leaving him standing between two moving trains. Not a good idea.We came to a stop and he climbed through our train to the engineer's side.I called the Border Patrol on the radio and asked them to have a talk with him when he got back to the office.

Date: 06/23/17 10:33
Author: grande_fan

so the border agents where allowed to get on and off moving engines?

Posted from Android

Date: 06/23/17 11:41
Author: PHall

grande_fan Wrote:
> so the border agents where allowed to get on and
> off moving engines?
>
> Posted from Android

They're allowed to do just about anything else they want to do. Why not this?

Date: 06/23/17 13:16
Author: UPNW2-1083

grande_fan Wrote:
> so the border agents where allowed to get on and
> off moving engines?
>
> Posted from Android

I've never had them get on while we were moving. They had us stop and told us to stay inside the engine. They never came up to the lead unit, they just went through the trailing units. I've also had them have us slow roll on a Z train.-BMT

Date: 06/24/17 16:27
Author: goneon66

PHall Wrote:
> grande_fan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > so the border agents where allowed to get on
> and
> > off moving engines?
> >
> > Posted from Android
>
> They're allowed to do just about anything else
> they want to do. Why not this?

once upon a time, trainmen were TRAINED to get on and off moving equipment. border agents were not trained to do that.......

Date: 06/27/17 18:28
Author: 90mac

I miss Carl.
TAH

Date: 07/31/17 11:35
Author: CR3

Hard Yellow, I was present for the dedication of the Rogoza sign back when. I think Gyrolite mentioned something about trying to get a work party out there to paint it but have not heard anything more lately. I'm afraid I would have too many health problems to make the trip again.

CRS

Date: 05/13/19 11:56
Author: CPRail1

Under the coordination of Mike Jarel we replaced the Rogoza sign on April 27th. Work party Mike Jarel, John Kosiba, Ken Kenyon, Peter Ely, Bo Golson, Dan Wagner, Stan Garner.

Date: 05/18/19 19:09
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

CPRail1 Wrote:
> Under the coordination of Mike Jarel we replaced
> the Rogoza sign on April 27th. Work party Mike
> Jarel, John Kosiba, Ken Kenyon, Peter Ely, Bo
> Golson, Dan Wagner, Stan Garner.
>
>  

What a motley crew!!!

Posted from Android

Date: 05/18/19 19:16
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

Good work, guys.  Carl would be pleased.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0749 seconds