Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Questions for SP, UP & ATSF veterans (Waayback)

Date: 06/22/17 08:58
Questions for SP, UP & ATSF veterans (Waayback)
Author: cewherry

Yesterday in a conversation with TO's member suphil about railroad graffiti in the Los Angeles area,
a question came up regarding which Los Angeles area railroad's switchmen/yardmen were represented by
the Switchmens Union of North America, SUNA, prior to the formation of the UTU in 1969.

I know that the 'Snakes' held the agreement with the SP for switchmen/yardmen and subsidiary Pacific Electric didn't have
"switchmen". The PE job titles were 'conductor' and 'brakeman' and the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen (BRT)
represented both crafts on the PE.

What has me wondering is what was the situation on UP and ATSF? Did SUNA represent yardmen on either property in Los Angeles?

Here's the link that suphil posted: https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4320823

Just curious.

Charlie

Date: 06/22/17 10:52
Re: Questions for SP, UP & ATSF veterans (Waayback)
Author: d10747

When assigned as Relief Chief Yard Clerk AT&SF First St LA, the yardmen were represented
by the BofRT...Gordon Dotson was the Local Chairman. He later became Terminal Supt at
Barstow when the new yard opened.
Also, I remember something like UROC was trying to be introduced at First St.

Bob Drenk

Date: 06/25/17 19:55
Author: Bob3985

Back in the early 70's on the Rock Island there were the SUNA for yardmen, BRT for the brakemen and the ORC for the conductors. The engineers were represented by the BLE. Later on the SUNA, BRT, ORC and Fireman's union were merged into the UTU and UTUE.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 06/26/17 08:23
Author: ButteStBrakeman

Bob3985 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Back in the early 70's on the Rock Island there
> were the SUNA for yardmen, BRT for the brakemen
> and the ORC for the conductors. The engineers were
> represented by the BLE. Later on the SUNA, BRT,
> ORC and Fireman's union were merged into the UTU
> and UTUE.

UTU started May 1969.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.3189 seconds