Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Amazing story of hobos, tramps, bums in SP LA freight yard.

Date: 07/12/17 10:06
Amazing story of hobos, tramps, bums in SP LA freight yard.
Author: Robbie754

I was referred to this youtube video by a railfan the other day.

It is an amazing story of photographer John Free's 10 years photgraphing the hobos, tramps and bums along the LA River and Taylor Yard.

If you've worked in and around C yard, bullring/cornfield and the bridges by Dayton/Midway you have probably seen some of these people including the photographer.

John was down in these places in the early 70's.

You will see faces of a couple of yard crew who you may recognize.

Go to youtube and type in "10 year photo essay by John Free"

Check it out, you will be glad you did.

Date: 07/12/17 12:36
Re: Amazing story of hobos, tramps, bums in SP LA freight yard.
Author: gyralite

Thanks very much for sharing this remarkable presentation.

Date: 07/12/17 16:42
Author: KskidinTx

Just got through watching it not once, but TWICE. Was really impressed as to how John would be able to get "close" to the down and out people. Hopefully I'll be able to remember some of the tips he shared.
Thanks so much for posting it.
Mark

Date: 07/12/17 19:12
Author: Robbie754

I did the same. Saw it yesterday and this morning. Will probably watch it again.

This is the dark side of the railroad that we never hear of but it goes hand-in-hand with the history of railroading.

I can relate to some of what John said as I did witness a railroad dick (as they were called back in the day) putting the stick to a tramp who was passed out on a locker room bench in A Yard.

There was so much going on in Taylor Yard since its inception. Long lost stories we will never hear of.

We thank John for bringing it all to us.

Sad to see that Taylor is gone.

Date: 07/24/17 22:51
Author: mococomike

Thanks for sharing, great images.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0283 seconds