Home Open Account Help 186 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Wally "Chinaman" May

Date: 08/02/17 22:57
Wally "Chinaman" May
Author: TonyJ

Wally May and I work on the tracks of our Southern Oregon Live Steamers club at the Medford Railroad Park in Medford, OR. Last week Wally brought along some photos of his days with the Southern Pacific. He was a Brakeman and Conductor for 42 years, all SP but the last six years when he worked for Uncle Pete. Some of you old Espee Heads may have worked with Wally in the past so I am sharing Wally's photos now. All but one photo lacks information and I can't recall what Wally told me. Wally had the nicknames "Chinaman May" and "Wally May I".

Photo #1 - This is how Wally looks now as we were repairing a sun-kink on our Thomas train mainline.

Photo #2 i Wally in the cab of a SP locomotive.

Photo #3 - Wally (sitting) and another SP employee. I think this was taken in Portland.

Date: 08/02/17 23:00
Re: Wally "Chinaman" May
Author: TonyJ

Photo #4 - Wally again at Portland {I think]

Photo #5 - Wally with a beard. Never saw him with a beard before.

Photo #6 - Wally on SD9E SP4433 at Shedd, Oregon on August 2, 1984, 37 years ago today.

Date: 08/03/17 06:40
Author: sphogger

I'll be darned. I wonder what became of Wally. I see railroad still in his blood. I do remember he had the sharpest pencil on the other side of the cab. Always an adventure working with him. Lots of stories, good company. Glad to see he is doing well!

Sphogger

Date: 08/03/17 09:01
Author: WestinAshahr

photo #5 is at Mac siding.

Date: 08/04/17 13:17
Author: spnudge

Thanks for the post Tony.

Nudge

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0486 seconds