Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Any Florida Service Streamliner Memories among us?

Date: 10/06/17 06:41
Any Florida Service Streamliner Memories among us?
Author: Royal_Palm

As part of our interpretation of mid 20th century streamliners, The Royal Palm Railway Experience is interested in hearing and perhaps memorializing your memories of the Great Trains of Florida. Seaboard, ACL, FEC, Southern, CofG, L&N - if you have tales of working or riding on these roads to Florida, lets hear them.

Thanks for your interest and support of this project. We hope to formally kick off our Great Trains of Florida effort in early 2018.

Regards,

The RPRE Team
Tavares,FL
www.TheFloridaTrain.com

Date: 10/08/17 20:01
Re: Any Florida Service Streamliner Memories among us?
Author: djansson

As a kid I rode Seaboard Air Line’s SILVER METEOR from Miami to Ocala (Fla) and return, every summer in the late ‘50’s. The train was spotless leaving Miami but on the southbound leg, New York newspapers and a cloud of cigar smoke made the rear coach/lounge obs a bit messy. Great service and the East +/- West Coast Meteor switchero at Wildwood was poetry in motion.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/11/17 01:24
Author: CR3

Rode the ACL "Everglades" once when I was very young between Rocky Mount, N.C. and Fayettville, N.C. My grandmother's brother was the conductor. Had a lot of head end cars. Power was E6 units, at least two. We changed to this train after riding a local passenger train from Portsmouth, Va. to Rocky Mt. on the Norfolk branch.

Date: 10/14/17 20:31
Author: lary565

My first train ride was in 1949. I was 7 years old and rode with my older sister on a loooooooong distance from Hannibal, MO. to Quincy, ILL. It took all of 20 minutes if memory serves. The train was silver with a shovel-type nose. Probably one of the original Burlington Zepher sets. Bud

Date: 10/14/17 20:34
Author: lary565

Sorry it was not to or in Florida. Wanted to keep going. Bud

Date: 10/20/17 20:48
Author: Royal_Palm

lary565 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My first train ride was in 1949. I was 7 years old
> and rode with my older sister on a loooooooong
> distance from Hannibal, MO. to Quincy, ILL. It
> took all of 20 minutes if memory serves. The train
> was silver with a shovel-type nose. Probably one
> of the original Burlington Zepher sets. Bud

Close enough - we have some former Zephyr pieces in Florida!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0394 seconds