Home Open Account Help 227 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Buying a burial plot

Date: 04/17/18 07:55
Buying a burial plot
Author: eminence_grise

Some time ago, I was invited to dinner by a long retired locomotive engineer.

He had something very important to say to his family and wanted someone other than his family there to witness the conversation.

During World War 2, he served with honor overseas in the Army.

He was always a "colorful" speaker, meaning his sentences were peppered with "cuss words".

"Well, I'm "G-- D--- Well Dying and don't have long to live", and then "But I don't want no "f----ing funeral" His shocked family agreed and he relaxed somewhat.

However, he wanted to be buried. Before he shipped overseas during World War 2, a group of servicemen in the small railroad town I used to live in formed a club at the Legion Hall. They agreed to purchase several burial plots at the local cemetery and to pay 25 cents a month per club member to fund the purchase. They were as good as their word, and managed to get the money back to the Legion throughout the War and for many years after.

My friend was well in his 80's when this conversation took place.

His dying wish was granted, by his request there was no funeral but he was buried with full military honors in the plot he had purchased years ago, 25 cents a time, beside his buddies in the Legion "club". The Legion supplied a soldiers headstone for each grave.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/18 09:32 by eminence_grise.

Date: 04/17/18 13:59
Re: Buying a burial plot
Author: retcsxcfm

Along the same lines.I purchased a pre-burial
program.It is something to think about.Your
survivors will be relived they won't have to
worry about bills after you go to the train
yard in the sky.

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.

Date: 04/17/18 16:03
Author: Trainhand

A few weeks ago at the funeral of a friend and retired conductor,I saw a very large lot in the cemetery at Savannah where everyone buried there was a member of the Order of Railway Conductors. They were born 1850's to 1870's. and died in the 1920's to 1940's. In that time frame the ORC had a retirement home in Savannah, and I assume these men died without family and were buried in the union plot. They were from many different locals throughout the country.

Date: 04/17/18 21:38
Author: up833

A rail fan friend recently passed. His wife put his ashes in a large Lionel steam engine piggy bank. Perfect!
RB

Date: 04/18/18 06:59
Author: LarryDoyle

On two occasions I've been requested to put cremation remains in steam locomotive fireboxes.

-LD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/18 07:00 by LarryDoyle.

Date: 04/18/18 12:46
Author: co614

John J. Harmon, a railfan of some repute had his ashes thrown into the firebox of NH&I RR 2-8-0 # 40 as it worked hard on the 1.5% grade out of New Hope,Pa. and the exhaust did its job of scattering John's ashes well into the surrounding forest. R.I.P. good friend.

Ross Rowland

Date: 04/18/18 21:33
Author: OHCR1551

Dave Goodheart's cremains were scattered on Helmstetter's Curve courtesy of 734 and her crew.

Rebecca Morgan
Jacobsburg, OH

Date: 04/25/18 12:25
Author: wcamp1472

Check with the crematorium to find out about ‘exclusive’ ashes...

To do that, you pay to have the furnace cleaned of any remaining ashes from previous incinerations.

Road kills, expired pets, somebody’s Aunt Tilly... are in the furnace. The extra cleaning costs supposedly buys only the ashes of the single deceased...

I’ll probably choose a sea burial..

But, my fondest wish is to be blown out the stack of a steam loco, while ascending the Allegheny grade from Horse Shoe Curve to MG Tower...

Or, ascending the former C&O grade from Clifton Forge, West...

Or, from the former NYC “Water Level Route” between Harmon, NY & Rhinecliff, NY,

Or, the former Nickel Plate, Conneaut to Buffalo...

Or, anywhere on former Western Maryland Ry, still extant tracks...

Or, the former Reading RR, Bound Brook to Philly, ...
Including the former B&O, Philly to Union Station, Washington, DC..

Or, the 4449, anywhere across Oregon ...( I never fired the 4449,
But, I mentored and encouraged Doyle—- without whom the greatest steam restoration project would have never taken place..)

Oh, right.... I’ve lived & fired on steam trips over those very tracks, many firing for Ross.

So, sea burial is probably more realistic, for me.... having been raised on the Great roaring Atlantic Ocean,
at Long Branch, with K4 whistles
ringing in my ears... for every crossing between Joline Avenue to Cedar Avenue...

And I’d be just as happy, and honored, to be buried with the ashes of any of God’s creatures,
including sombody’s Aunt Tilly..

Steam ashes up the stack, would be ideal, but real life was FANTASTIC.

Oh, The Places I’ve Been and the railroaders that guided me —- with love and tolerance and understanding ...

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/27/18 15:30
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

co614 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> John J. Harmon, a railfan of some repute had his ashes thrown into the firebox of NH&I RR 2-8-0 # 40 as it worked hard on the 1.5% grade out of New Hope,Pa. and the exhaust did its job of scattering John's ashes well into the surrounding forest. R.I.P. good friend. Ross Rowland

I knew John quite well as we both logged many a mile together on various rare mileage trips. Until now, I did not know of what you described. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, rest in peace, John.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0511 seconds