Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > "Old Arizona Division"?? & SP San Joaquin T&E rosters

Date: 05/21/18 08:11
"Old Arizona Division"?? & SP San Joaquin T&E rosters
Author: hogheaded

Charlie Wherry has started scanning his collection of old SP (& Santa Fe?) T&E rosters for posting on my website. (Thanks, Charlie!) His first one, whose link is immediately below, shows SP San Joaquin Division rosters, along with those of "the "Old Arizona Division". Charlie figures that these were Santa Fe, and the 1926 SP rosters on my site make no mention of an Arizona Division. Was this actually a seniority district on Santa Fe's L.A. Division? If so, the lack of Santa Fe Valley Division T&E's in the book brings up the question: Was Stockton the Valley Division seniority's home terminal?

http://wx4.org/sp_employees/pages/rosters/1963SP_SanJoaquin_rosters-Wherry.pdf

More SP timebook rosters:
http://wx4.org/sp_employees/pages/rosters/sp_rosters.html

>>>>>>UPDATE, 5-28: Charlie's 1941 AT&SF L. A. Division time book rosters are now online at:
http://wx4.org/to/foam/big_rr/atsf/sf_contents.html

Ed Gibson
Wx4.org

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/18 10:52 by hogheaded.

Date: 05/21/18 15:33
Re: "Old Arizona Division"?? & SP San Joaquin T&E rosters
Author: WP-M2051

Old Arizona WAS a Santa Fe Div'n that went from Bakersfield to either Kingman or Seligman AZ. Notice that the people had names instead of just initials. I recognized a few such as Phil Kauke.

Date: 05/22/18 07:56

WP-M2051 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Old Arizona WAS a Santa Fe Div'n that went from
> Bakersfield to either Kingman or Seligman AZ.
> Notice that the people had names instead of just
> initials. I recognized a few such as Phil Kauke.

Ahh, OK, so it was indeed the former Santa Fe division. I see from Tim Zukas's employee timetables that the Arizona Division ran west from Seligman, so in 1963 this would have been a seniority district that spanned parts of the Albuquerque and Los Angeles Divisions. Thanks for the heads-up.

I believe that the next of Charlie's scans will be of Santa Fe 1941 L. A. Division rosters.

Ed Gibson

Date: 05/22/18 12:55
Author: BCHellman

hogheaded Wrote:

> Ahh, OK, so it was indeed the former Santa Fe
> division. I see from Tim Zukas's employee
> timetables that the Arizona Division ran west from
> Seligman, so in 1963 this would have been a
> seniority district that spanned parts of the
> Albuquerque and Los Angeles Divisions. Thanks for
> the heads-up.
>

And the Valley Division. The Third District of the Arizona Division, Barstow to Mojave, was handed over to the Valley Division.

Date: 05/22/18 22:57
Author: cewherry

An interesting bit of trivia. On the SP's San Joaquin Division engineers roster all 305 of them are qualified to operate steam locomotives; this
in 1963, several years after steam had made it's last runs. This in a note on page 55. And the first 51 firemen plus a few stragglers were
qualified to fire steam locomotives. I hadn't noticed these tidbits before now.

But then after considering the last engineer took promotion in December 1958 and those 51 firemen had hired on prior to 1956, maybe it wasn't so exceptional
after all. From a distance of 55 years it just seems exceptional.

Charlie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/18 23:12 by cewherry.

Date: 05/23/18 00:10
Author: bradleymckay

Trying to pick out the fireman/hoggers that worked in Bakersfield on both the SJD engineers and firemans roster, so far: Ralph Kidd, Marty Rondone (RON-doe-Nee), Bill Ledbetter, Jim Garside, Gary Padula, Bernie Easton, U.E. Elliott, Gene Abbott, Fred Hardin, D.A. McCutcheon, Tom Gallington, Andy Smihula. Might be wrong on a few.

Interestingly I see Norm Orfall's name as brakeman 869. And the infamous D.D. Burke at 874.

Allen

Date: 05/23/18 10:35
Author: jkchubbes

Found my grandfather, ATSF Old Arizona division.

41' Fireman date
44' Engineer date

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/18 18:03 by jkchubbes.

Date: 05/23/18 22:08
Author: KskidinTx

After I got "severed" as a fireman out of Emporia, KS in May 1964 I heard Bakersfield, CA was needing fireman account of California's full crew law. Went to Bakersfield and hired out but they instructed me to go to Barstow and mark-up as I would be forced there in hostling service. Worked there through the first part of December when I got severed again. Barstow is where I picked up the name "Kansas Kid". And I was still a "Kid".......not even old enough to buy a beer.

The Old Arizona Division list of Santa Fe Firemen has brought back many memories of the fellows I worked with. Here's some of them:

363 Cheek, Ronald E. 9-6-57 I worked with him more than anyone else. He had a beautiful wife and raced an old jalopy at the small oval race track there in Barstow.
367 Brown, Donald L. 7-29-58
370 Jones, Kenneth F. 4-10-59
372 Clevinger, John G. 4-29-59
373 Ewing, James L. 5-1-59
375 Thompson, Glenn W. 6-10-59
384 Dulaney, Dallas D 4-7-60
387 Flink, Robert A 4-19-60
391 Herbison, Jos. B. 4-26-60 No, he's not the one who wrote "Herby" on the sides of thousands of box cars. His stories would just make you split a gut.
394 Carroll, Robert J. 5-7-60
395 Warren, Teddy R. 5-9-60
402 Rupe, Donald R. 6-20-60
407 McClurg, Buford J. 7-12-60 After being severed in Barstow I was driving in LA once and looked over to my left and there was Buford driving along beside me. Of course we stopped and had a nice visit.
411 Medley, Joe H. 6-29-62
412 Stolfus, Donald W. 6-29-62
414 Willis, G. M. 7-1-62
415 Langdoc, Michael 7-2-62 Both Willis and Langdoc were from Needles, their fathers were RR's. I see Mike's father is # 61 on the Brakemen's list.
416 Adams, Alfred L. 7-5-62 I dated Al's step-daughter for quite some time.

Do ya'all see why I like TO? One old seniority list has brought back many, many memories. Thanks Ed and Charlie for posting.

Mark

Date: 05/27/18 12:45
Author: bradleymckay

Somehow I missed Charles Steffes name on the engineers roster. He wrote this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Times-Locomotive-Engineer-Charles-Steffes/dp/1880365138

Allen

Date: 05/28/18 10:49

Update:

Charlie's 1963 "Old Arizona Division" / SP San Joaquin Division time book is now online at:
http://wx4.org/to/foam/big_rr/atsf/sf_contents.html

You shall also find Charlie's 1941 Santa Fe L. A. Division timebook rosters there. Many more SP rosters and time books are at:
http://wx4.org/sp_employees/pages/rosters/sp_rosters.html

Ed Gibson

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0624 seconds