Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Jim Scanlan

Date: 06/01/18 19:36
Jim Scanlan
Author: Cabhop

For those who may have known him, Jim Scanlan, retired SP L.A. Switchman/Brakeman/Conductor passed away yesterday. Jim started his railroad career 1957. He told me that after his discharge from the Marine Corp he was having a few cold ones at a bar where he met a guy who had a brand new Corvette. He ask the guy what he did to make enough money to buy such a cool car. He guy told Jim that he worked as a Switchman for the Union Pacific Railroad. Jim said the next day he went down to East L.A. and hired out. And yes he bought himself a new Corvette.

In 1964, after crashing through a gate at an industry the UP fired him. Apparently the word was out on the UP that the SP was a better place to work and was hiring. So Jim immediately went down to the SP and hired out as a Trainman. He said it was the best thing that happened to his working career. When the UP called him back he told them, well for you guys who knew Jim can figure what he told them. When SP Pacific lines instigated system seniority Jim transferred to Ogden where he worked the remainder of his railroad days. He retired in 1998 taking one of the nice buyouts the SP was handing out in those days.

Jim was a real character for sure that everyone like to work with. He never ran out of stories. He never seemed to take the job too serious, but none the less was a great car handler, one of the best. I may have mentioned him in a post I did for Jack Haile's passing about them getting left at Pomona. If I didn't mention it in the story the other man with Jack it was Jim.

Jim passed away surrounded by his family, he was 85, and he was my friend

Pat

Date: 06/02/18 18:52
Re: Jim Scanlan
Author: ButteStBrakeman

Sorry to hear this. Jim was a great person to work with.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0341 seconds