Home Open Account Help 248 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > SP Freight Names??

Date: 08/22/18 19:36
SP Freight Names??
Author: Sherry440

I’m sure it is probably too long past, but George M. Poole was my father who worked (mostly) freight from Eugene to Crescent Lake and I would dearly love to read any names from that era. He retired in about 1972.
prior to that run it was out of Brooklyn Yard in Portland.

Sherry Poole Todd

Date: 08/23/18 06:47
Re: SP Freight Names??
Author: WAF

From the 60# to his retire ment’

SMW
PNL
PSSE that one started in 1970
377-378
TOFC Special
NCP
BAS
KFX
OS
NWS
OPS
MUG many sections from many yards
that should get the list started

Date: 08/23/18 06:50

And......what did guys do up there at Crescent Lake for your layover??  Dad had an old car and a fishing boat...
..but where did everyone stay?

Date: 08/23/18 08:31

Wow! Spectacular blueprint!  I *think* there were some little cottages built by the RR up among the old forest there, too. It is a beautiful spot at the summit of the Cascade Mtns. Dad would always bring home our 🎄 Christmas tree! And...trout or Kokanee.

Date: 08/26/18 09:11
Author: rob_l

Did you mean names of crewmen or names of trains or names of stations?

Rob L.

Date: 08/26/18 09:27
Author: TCnR

Sherry440 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ..but where did everyone stay?

Employees tell of a large Company Hotel  that was main building for the area. The higher level Maintainance of way employees had Company houses but most of the train crew stayed at the Hotel. I met an Employee who was born in the hotel back in the 40's or 50's, his Father being a Trainmaster or Road Foreman and the family living at the hotel or a nearby house.

There are a couple of mostly photograph books of the area that may be of interest. Plenty of scenery and maps in the mulitple books from Ed Austin and Tom Dill with the general title of The Southern Pacific in Oregon. Amazon has some hefty prices but three titles are shown here as an example:
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=southern+pacific+in+oregon&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Asouthern+pacific+in+oregon

There's also the Joel Ascroft SP in the Cascades website with plenty of detailed photographs and some stories:
http://spcascades.railfan.net/home.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/18 09:32 by TCnR.

Date: 08/26/18 16:00

Thanks for asking, Rob...I was hoping to find some relative of a crewman who worked that line. Or somebody who remembers those crew names. I sure heard them often enough, but it was a long time ago.

Sherry Poole Todd

Date: 08/26/18 16:24

Rob, Is Tom Halderson listed in the roster?  And would SP offic staff be listed or just train personnel? My mom worked in the Brooklyn yard calling crews around then (1942). 

Date: 08/27/18 20:00
Author: rob_l

Sherry440 Wrote:
> Rob, Is Tom Halderson listed in the roster?  And
> would SP offic staff be listed or just train
> personnel? My mom worked in the Brooklyn yard
> calling crews around then (1942). 

Sherry,

Sorry, I don't have a roster.

A conductor on the Eugene - Crescent Lake run who took excellent railfan photos was Bert Ward. He's now deceased, wonder what happened to the SP part of his photo collection. He was an avid photograher of trolley lines, I wouldn't be surprised if WRM has the trolley portion of his collection.

Best regards,

Rob L.

Date: 10/06/18 19:05
Author: hogheaded

Sherry440 Wrote:
> Rob, Is Tom Halderson listed in the roster?  And
> would SP offic staff be listed or just train
> personnel? My mom worked in the Brooklyn yard
> calling crews around then (1942). 

Sherry, I have PDF's on my website of 1947 & 1959 Portland Division rosters, plus a 1968 Oregon Division roster that may help. These cover the territory on which your father worked.

http://wx4.org/sp_employees/pages/rosters/sp_rosters.html

Happy hunting!
Ed Gibson

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.036 seconds