Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Father and Son -a track side chance encounter

Date: 09/27/18 14:45
Father and Son -a track side chance encounter
Author: Krokodil

We were taking picture and video of the action along Conrail's Allentown PA -Reading PA line in Alburtis PA twenty years, on top of a steep climb out of the valley, as we were joined by an elderly gentleman. A short conversation revealed that his son was engineer on the next train and he was here to greet him track side. Not long after the ALCS (Allentown CSX interchange) train roared up the grade and blasted by us, barely  time for a short wave with the American Flag waving proudly from the cab! Wonder how frequent such a track side family reunion is, the only on in my 60 years of train watching career.

Its encounters like this that made train watching memorable!

Thomas Eckhardt
Hurricane UT

Date: 09/27/18 16:52
Re: Father and Son -a track side chance encounter
Author: eljay

Uber kool story and photo . . . thanks for sharing!

Date: 09/27/18 17:04
Author: perklocal

That's Angelo Reck waving to his son Jonathan who I understand is a few short weeks away from retirement himself. Both great gentlemen!  Wonderful post!

Date: 09/27/18 18:33
Author: Krokodil

Thanks for putting names on the faces, being retired for a while myself!

Thomas Eckhardt 

Date: 09/27/18 19:26
Author: cabsignaldrop

Great story and photo!

Date: 09/27/18 23:09
Author: 3rdboxcar

Krokodil Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>Wonder how frequent such a track side
> family reunion is, the only on in my 60 years of
> train watching career.
>
> Its encounters like this that made train watching
> memorable!
>
> Thomas Eckhardt
> Hurricane UT

There is a well watched clip on youtube "[color=var(--ytd-video-primary-info-renderer-title-color, var(--yt-primary-text-color))]Engineer's Son Realizes His Dad is Driving Passing Train" [/color] https://youtu.be/oVJZj3qtc1M 

Alexander 

Date: 09/29/18 07:25
Author: symph1

> There is a well watched clip on youtube
> "Engineer's Son Realizes His Dad is Driving
> Passing Train"  https://youtu.be/oVJZj3qtc1M 

What a wonderful little clip. Thanks for posting it!

Date: 09/29/18 08:17
Author: trainjunkie

When I worked in Alaska I was fortunate enough in the Summer of 2016 to have my wife and kids visit. One morning while I was working the job that spots the morning passenger trains to the Anchorage depot, she and the kids went to Elderberry Park to watch me go by. Unfortunately the kids couldn't be included in the image because they were a fair distance from the tracks. The pics were only of me, my train, Cook Inlet, and Mount Susitna in the background. But it was fun to see them while we waved at each other and every time I see the pics my wife took that morning it reminds me of the day my kids "got to see daddy working in Alaska".

Date: 09/30/18 18:10
Author: SN711

There is a local railfan whose son works for BNSF. I've gotten them waving to each other at least once. Didn't know the son was going to be on this particular train as he had originally been called for something completely different.

Gary

Date: 10/10/18 17:42
Author: engineerinvirginia

A friend I went to school with from Kindergarten to Graduation was going for medical tests in a town that I pass through on the route home....I just happened to be on train at the right time to spot her waiting to see pretty much ANY train.....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0371 seconds