Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > RIP Lloyd Mangler

Date: 03/24/19 14:27
RIP Lloyd Mangler
Author: MILW86A

Retired Milwaukee Road/Soo Line Engineer Lloyd Mangler Passed Away at Age 87 on Friday March 22, 2019. Lloyd was born September 2, 1931 and hired out on the Milwaukee Road October 22, 1949. He was promoted to engineer on August 4, 1957. Lloyd worked out of Savanna, IL to Nahant, and Ottumwa on the Kansas City line, and to Atkins or Perry, Iowa on the Omaha main line. Lloyd retired from the SOO Line in March 1993 where he was in the Nahant to Bensenville Pool. Lloyds brothers Wayne, Chuck, and Alvin were all Milwaukee employees as well as several nephews and grandson Jeremy Diercks is a conductor for the CP out of Savanna. 

I first met Lloyd at a Milwaukee Road picnic in 2003. When I told him and his brother I grew up 4 blocks west of the Marion Depot, I made an instant friend. He loved to tell stories about the Iowa Division and the people he worked with(some from Marion too). He was a big help in a couple of articles I did for the Milwaukee Railroader. He just was a great man who will be missed by many.

RIP Lloyd. Highball to Heaven my friend. 

MILW86A 

**Photo of Lloyd by Mark Llanuza from my collection taken in 1979 near Lost Nation, IA 

Date: 03/26/19 13:16
Re: RIP Lloyd Mangler
Author: zr190

I am sure I handed orders up to him at West Davenport Tower.  Back at that time it seemed like there was a Mangler on just about every train!
zr190

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0361 seconds