Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > SP Sac, Shasta, Portland, Coast employee rosters & time books

Date: 08/16/19 07:59
SP Sac, Shasta, Portland, Coast employee rosters & time books
Author: hogheaded

I've added more items to my website's rosters page:
  • A 1983-84 operating employees time book roster for SP Sacramento Division and Shasta District of the Oregon Division kindly contributed by TO's sphogger, George Faithorn. George and I barely missed the cut for inclusion in the Shasta firemen roster.
  • 1937 operating and clerical craft rosters for Portland area RR's: SP; UP (ex OR&NCo) SP&S; Northern Pacific Terminal; Oregon Electric (incl. United Rys.; Portland, Asoria & Pacific; and Gales Creek & Wilson River
  • Time books of Coast Division Engineer L.H Cleveland covering most of his career during the period of 1940 to 1962
  • 1949 Portand Division shop crafts, covering all of Oregon except K. Falls
  • 1984 Western Division Track Department roster - I did manage to make that one while I was cut-off from train service
A 1957 SP, AT&SF & WP clerks and op employee rosters book, as well as a 1960-61 SP Shasta op employee rosters book, will soon follow, again courtesy of George.

I should also note that I am (finally) trying to finish up placing History San Jose's Ernie Kiesel Collection of Southern Pacific Photographs online. You may recall that it consists of more than 300 photos, mostly of Coast Division engineers circa 1900 - late 1960's. I *hope* to have it up in a few weeks, but it is VERY time-consuming, so we'll see.

Otherwise, I've come to conclude that social media is no longer my thing, so I'm letting my TO's membership lapse next month.

Regards,
Ed Gibson
Wx4.org

Date: 08/16/19 10:58
Re: SP Sac, Shasta, Portland, Coast employee rosters & time books
Author: OSWishram

Dear Ed --

Your link to the 1937 combined Portland area roster does not link to that document, rather to the 1947 SP Portland Division roster listed further down your web page.  I'd be interested in seeing the combined listing.  Thanks!

Bob Willer

Date: 08/16/19 12:46

OSWishram Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dear Ed --
>
> Your link to the 1937 combined Portland area
> roster does not link to that document, rather to
> the 1947 SP Portland Division roster listed
> further down your web page.  I'd be interested in
> seeing the combined listing.  Thanks!
>
> Bob Willer

Well drat, Bob! It is now fixed, and here's a shortcut:

Portland rosters

Ed

Date: 08/16/19 20:17
Author: ATSFSuperChief

Sorry to see you leave TO, enjoyed your posts.

Don Allender

Date: 08/16/19 20:28
Author: Westbound

That once large roster of SP retirees continues its inevitable reduction with the passage of time. There are not many within that group who post here on Trainorders. Sure would like to see you remain an active, posting member. 

Date: 08/16/19 23:16

Thanks for your kind sentiments, Don and Westbound, but resigning from TO's does not mean that I am also shutting down the Wx4 website. It will continue to grow. It is just that I have way too many irons in the fire, and I want to carve out more time to devote to the website backlog, Ernie Kiesel being merely the tip of the iceberg. (I've already deep-sixed Facebook, and gad, that's one of the smartest things that I've ever done.)  Essentially, TO's is an all-too-tempting way to consume big chunks of time that should go to Wx4. Beyond that, I'm getting too old and crochety to remain civilized in any social context for very much longer.

Regards,
EO
And honestly, how many of you read my posts about the California & Oregon Coast RR, or the birth of RR vacuum cleaners? None? I thought so (-:

Date: 08/16/19 23:23
Author: bradleymckay

Still hoping someone gives you Western Division and San Joaquin Division seniority rosters from the late '70's or early '80's to post...

Allen

Posted from Android

Date: 08/17/19 06:47
Author: mp345

> how many of you read my posts about the... birth of RR vacuum cleaners?

I for one! I guess you could say that I was "sucked into it". Fascinating not only for the depth of information but for some other stuff as well. It "cleared up" a lot of misconceptions that I (and I'm sure many TO members) had about those fascinating, but little known, machines. If I never read another article, I hope that it's yours about the RR vacuums. Good luck on your future ventures, and your website speaks for itself!

Date: 08/17/19 07:47

bradleymckay Wrote:
> Still hoping someone gives you Western Division
> and San Joaquin Division seniority rosters from
> the late '70's or early '80's to post...
>
>
> Allen

Me too, Allen.

mp345 Wrote:
> > how many of you read my posts about the... birth
> of RR vacuum cleaners?
>
> I for one!

Yeah, but only after I tied you to a tree and forced you to read it.

EO

Date: 08/21/19 15:29
Author: MILW86A

Found John Cockrells name in the Sac Div Rosters. I have his book. Very good read. 

MILW86A 

Date: 08/27/19 00:07
Author: aronco

Look in the San Joaquin Division sebiority lists for 1961, after the merger with LA Divn.  I believe I was the last actual 
San Joaquin brakeman, hired June 30, 1961.  Is that correct?

Norm

Norman Orfall
Helendale, CA
TIOGA PASS, a private railcar

Date: 09/10/19 09:00

aronco Wrote:
> Look in the San Joaquin Division sebiority lists
> for 1961, after the merger with LA Divn.  I
> believe I was the last actual 
> San Joaquin brakeman, hired June 30, 1961.  Is
> that correct?
>
> Norm

Well Norm, I don't know, but I DO know that I was the last fireman hired on the Shasta District / Division.

EO

Date: 09/10/19 16:02
Author: sp3204

Don't tell me tou were behind sphogger in seniority?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0636 seconds