Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > JB (Jimmy) Benson, SP SJ Div. Engineer

Date: 09/03/19 13:54
JB (Jimmy) Benson, SP SJ Div. Engineer
Author: HardYellow

=24pxSad news.....Jim Benson, retired Southern Pacific San Joaquin Division Engineer, passed away Saturday, August 31, 2019.  JB had a Heart Attack while in a recovery home setting, in La Crescenta, California, after suffering a broken hip several weeks ago. His RR nickname was "Park Ranger"..... An "A-1", great guy, and a very classy act. He'll be missed, No further details at this time.

I first met JB back in 1967 when he was laid off from the SP. He went to work for a short while at the Southern California Edison Steam Plant in Redondo Beach, CA. Later he was called back to the RR and quit Edison...good move. 

Date: 09/03/19 21:28
Re: JB (Jimmy) Benson, SP SJ Div. Engineer
Author: bradleymckay

Sorry to hear about the "Park Ranger".

Here he is working on November 7, 1981 on a trip from LA to Bakersfield:

8525 West, 02-LABRF-07,  conductor DuPree, engineer Benson, on duty LA 7am, departed LATC 8:15am, 43 loads, 1 empty, 1876 tons, 2763 ft.

The 01-LABRF-07 had departed LATC at 4:05am with conductor Seevers, engineer Malella.

Allen

Date: 09/04/19 15:13
Re: JB (Jimmy) Benson, SP SJ Div. Engineer
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

Thanks Paul for the posting of my friend and one of my great mentor. I received the sad news on Monday morning. Jim retired in 2001 after the merger with the UP. RIP my friend.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0293 seconds