Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > White Eagle oil and Refining Co. Rare tank car.

Date: 09/23/19 20:15
White Eagle oil and Refining Co. Rare tank car.
Author: tomstp

Ft Worth Tx and Augusta Ks, shared this car I imagine. From the number it appears they had at least 6 or 7 cars, if not more.     While they had a refinery in Ft Worth as did some others, there never was any oil discovered in Dallas or Trarrant counties .  That was a rarity on the right of way of the Texas & Pacific.  There was a saying in Texas, "If you want to stirke oil, drill on the T&P right of way".

I think this photo is from the   John Barriger collection.

Date: 09/26/19 18:00
Re: White Eagle oil and Refining Co. Rare tank car.
Author: ironmtn

As an ACF builder's photo, it is more likely from the ACF Industries Archival Collection at the Barriger Railroad Library than from John Barriger's personal papers. That ACF collection has many car builder's photos, and they are commonly labeled in a similar fashion to this image.

I know it's a small distinction, but if that is the case, the distinction is real. And it would be an important distinction for a researcher, either concerning this image, or other similar images, in searching for and researching such images in the appropriate collection.

ACF Industries Archival Collection information: ww.umsl.edu/mercantile/collections/barriger-library-special-collections/collections/b-003-acf.html
John W. Barriger III Papers information: http://www.umsl.edu/mercantile/collections/barriger-library-special-collections/collections/b-001-jwbpapers.html

Dandy photo. As the son of a chemical products shipper (lots of tank cars!), I am a sucker for tank car photos, particularly of interesting, unusual and defunct shippers. Thanks for sharing it.

MC

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0378 seconds