Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Vance Struck, Eugene Yardmaster

Date: 09/29/19 19:20
Vance Struck, Eugene Yardmaster
Author: TonyJ

Vance Struck. SP YardmasterI thought I'd share a couple of photos of my friend Vance Struck. I got to know Vance as he attends our church in Eagle Point, Oregon.Vance hired out in 1948 was was a switchman out of Eugene for his first twelve years. After that he was a Yardmaster at Eugene until he retired back in 1986. Other than being hard of hearing he is in good health at 94-years old and still mobile.During our church's annual potluck picnic a week ago at the Medford Railroad Park I asked Vance who was the first president he voted for. With a straight face he answered "Abraham Lncoln!" Then he added it was for Lincoln's second term." What a character! Here' s a couple of photos of Vance.

Date: 09/30/19 12:20
Re: Vance Struck, Eugene Yardmaster
Author: sp3204

Great name for a Yardmaster Tony... Craig

Date: 10/02/19 09:22
Author: trackplanner

Does Vance have any stories he'd like to share about Eugene? I'd especially be interested in how they handled the industries in town along the Coos Bay Branch and the old Blair Street yard jobs, as well as the OE/BN interchange traffic. 

Date: 10/03/19 04:58
Author: TonyJ

I've discussed with Vance the idea of recording some of his Eugene memories. He's open to the idea. It's just setting it up. 

Date: 10/07/19 09:55
Author: spider1319

Thanks for posting and keep up the good effort.Bill Webb

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.038 seconds