Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Obit

Date: 02/13/21 17:51
Obit
Author: mdo

I just learned that former SP Coast Line engineer (and SP Roadforeman) Ray Ridgeway, RMR, passed away February 8.   
He had been living in Oregon.  No information available to me at present.

Date: 02/13/21 22:33
Re: Obit
Author: alcoc636

I remember Ray Ridgeway. He was in charge of the SP's "Simulator" in Cerritos, CA. I went through the simulator during the summer of 1979. My certificate is still hanging on the wall in our den and bears Mr. Ridgeway's signature. Green signals all the way Mr. Ridgeway . . . . .

Tim Dickinson
La Verne, CA

Date: 02/14/21 13:24
Author: CPCoyote

Very sorry to hear of Ray's passing. Hostled with him a few times way back in the early 70s. If memory serves, he was the fireman on the final run of #99 into SF on April 30, 1971 before Amtrak took over.

Date: 02/14/21 16:29
Author: johnw

I only met Ray a few times while he was RFE at San Jose but he seemed like a very decent guy, even if he did write me a ticket for getting off of an engine wrong while I was hostling at the San Jose roundhouse. No offense taken, I was guilty! It sounds like he had a relatively long retirement. Hopefully they were good years. R.I.P. Ray. 

Date: 02/14/21 21:06
Author: cewherry

Ray's brother, Wes, spent some time on the BN around Seattle and Ray's son Brandon, an engineer for BNSF
was working at Klamath Falls, OR., the last I knew. 

I seem to recall Ray was either a District Road Foreman or possibly the General Road Foreman of Engines
for the SP system at one time.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Charlie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/21 09:34 by cewherry.

Date: 02/15/21 16:42
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

cewherry Wrote:

There was another brother on the SP San Joaquin Division.  Dan .  He was working out of Bakersfield and was on a helper and was rearended by a Santa Fe.  The damage wasn't much. Dan had  a back injury and was off for a long time and believe he received a settlement and went back to teaching school.  I met Ray one time he was riding with Bob Ward and me on number 13 to Santa Barbara.
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ray's brother, Wes, spent some time on the BN
> around Seattle and Ray's son Brandon, an engineer
> for BNSF
> was working at Klamath Falls, OR., the last I
> knew. 
>
> I seem to recall Ray was either a District Road
> Foreman or possibly the General Road Foreman of
> Engines
> for the SP system at one time.
>
> My thoughts and prayers are with the family.
>
> Charlie
>  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/21 16:44 by SanJoaquinEngr.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds