Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > air brake spitter valve questions????

Date: 07/21/21 18:45
air brake spitter valve questions????
Author: JasonCNW

Hi guys, im asking this because im not all that great at mechanical things and I dont have much time tonight to search google.

I work at an industrial plant that has its own switch engines (GP15's). Tonight when I came in day shift asked me to check the air brake system out because they said they were getting sprayed with water when they applied the independent brake and they also had water pouring out of the main air hoses.

I went and did my daily inspection on the engine and they were right there was some spray coming from the independent when applied and released. I also found that at the spitter valve by the main air tank was fully closed, I opened it and a butt load of water shot out. I let that drain for 5 minutes and it still kept pouring out and i closed the knob but left it cracked open a bit so the water will still drain.

My question is did I do the correct thing? Is it safe to leave the knob open just a tad to allow for drainage? Is this a sign that the spitter valve might be broke or clogged? Looking for answers so If I need to I can write this up for our maintenance contractors can fix it if need be, I dont want to call them out here if this is a non-issue. Thank you for any answers.
JC

Posted from Android

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/21 18:46 by JasonCNW.

Date: 07/21/21 19:37
Re: air brake spitter valve questions????
Author: PCCRNSEngr

Turn the knob one direction to fully close and the other direction for spitter operation to keep the tank empty of moisture. It was in the close position and the air reservoir filled with water.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/21 19:39 by PCCRNSEngr.

Date: 07/21/21 21:16
Author: 567Chant

Air brakes becoming hydraulic brakes.
(sorry, I couldn't resist - I acknowledge that this IS a serious topic)
...Lorenzo

Date: 07/23/21 10:43
Author: splitreduction

You should have just left it open until all the water drained.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/23/21 17:32
Author: eminence_grise

Back in the 1960's, a UK locomotive manufacturer built a demonstrator diesel locomotive intended for export to countries which use the US air brake system. They purchased the necessary air brake equipment in the US, including manuals on how to install the system in a locomotive. Since they were going for North American accesories, they purchased a set of Air Chime horns from the inventor, Bob Swanson of Vancouver Island.  Bob spent his childhood in northern England, and took a special interest in this UK demonstator. During one visit to England, he phoned the locomotive manufacturer to enquire how his horns were doing. They said OK but they were concerned how the whistle valve spat water at the engine drivers head. He said, "Have you been draining the main air reservoir" to which they answered no. Shortly, he was at the plant and discovered they had plated the main reservoir over beneath the frame. A cutting torch was rounded up, and a hole cut to access the reservoir. He opened the splitter valve and gallons of foul smelling condensate flowed out. Problem solved.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0419 seconds