Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Saturday's Slang

Date: 07/31/21 11:43
Saturday's Slang
Author: cewherry

Reader "boxcar1954" commented; "Being able to drill a cut..." That bit of lingo was not on Mr. Hubbard's list of 700 terms
but I've included it here. "Westbound" added that he recognized 90% of the terms posted to date, so I've tried to
find some that may be less obvious. 

As "The Great One", Jackie Gleason would say: 'And, awaaay we go'. (ouch, is that going too far?)

BIG O---Conductor; so named from first initial in Order of Railway Conductors. Mr. Hubbard added: "Sometimes called
big ox and less complementary terms". I would add that in 1954 the name of the union was changed to include "...and Brakemen"
and the ORC&B was one of the so-called 'Big Four' operating craft labor organizations that joined together in forming the United
Transportation Union, UTU---predecessor of today's SMART.

BRAIN PLATE---Trainman's cap or hat badge. In all fairness, these badges were often issued to enginemen, as well.

BUG SLINGER---Switchman or brakeman. Keep in mind that a 'bug' could mean a trainman's lantern as well as other objects.

DRILL---The process of switching a 'cut' of cars. Could also refer to a particular track where switching is routinely done.

HOPTOAD---Derail

MASTER MANIAC---Master Mechanic, often abbreviated as "MM". I've read that valve oil used on steam locomotives, because of its
expense, was often meted out sparingly to engineers and was thus called: 'master mechanics blood'. 

MONKEY MOTION---Walschaert or Baker valve gear on steam locomotives. I'll leave further comments to those in the know.

FOUNTAIN---That part of a locomotive where steam issues from the boiler and flows into pipes for lubrication, injection, etc.
(Wes, Jack--others; comments?)

PIN AHEAD / PIN BACK---Cut off the engine (ahead); or back slightly to allow the uncoupling lever to be operated.

RIDING THE POINT---Riding a locomotive, point referring to the shape of the pilot/front of locomotive. Also, when riding the leading
car, in direction of movement. 

Charlie

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/21 14:52 by cewherry.

Date: 07/31/21 11:59
Re: Saturday's Slang
Author: Westbound

Lots of new slang today! One I recognized was "monkey motion". But my memory comes from an odd source: the toy train section of a Montgomery Wards Christmas catalog from around 1952 in describing a Marx 027 steam locomotive.

Date: 07/31/21 12:55
Author: LarryDoyle

cewherry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FOUNTAIN---That part of a locomotive where steam
> issues from the boiler and flows into pipes for
> lubrication, injection, etc.
> (Wes, Jack--others; comments?)

Yes.  Correctly called the STEAM TURRET or CAB TURRET.  Also, may be called by a very racially inappropriate term involving the letter "N"..

-LD

Date: 08/02/21 10:34
Author: Bob3985

The east end extension track for switching here in Cheyenne was called the "Drill Track".

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 08/03/21 16:15
Author: Searat

The runaround track on the outside of Salinas CA yard was also called 'the drill' and the attached track that ran back towards the shack was known as 'the turkey trail.' 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0484 seconds