Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Hey former M/W guys: Where can I get track bolts?

Date: 09/08/21 18:26
Hey former M/W guys: Where can I get track bolts?
Author: march_hare

Not exactly a nostalgia question, but if some former railroader can answer it, it will help with a RR restoration project. 

I am in the last stages of building a short display track for a caboose I own. I bought some 90-lb rail from a local short line that was doing an upgrade, along with matching joint bars, and have everything more or less spiked and gauged. But I somehow ended up with bolts that are too big to fit through the holes in the 90 lb joint bars. 

I had no idea that different weights of rail required different size bolts, but it makes sense in retrospect. 

But the question remains:  where can I find 8 track bolts for 90 pound rail?  The shortline in question has totally replaced all their 90 lb rail, so they don't have any more bolts. Anybody know where to look for these bolts?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/21 18:26 by march_hare.

Date: 09/08/21 18:31
Re: Hey former M/W guys: Where can I get track bolts?
Author: WAF

A railway salvage company

Date: 09/08/21 20:52
Author: radar

Date: 09/19/21 19:45
Author: railstiesballast

Measure the size of the holes in your bars and the length you need to reach through the assembled joint.
You will want a bolt diameter comfortably smaller than those holes and an overall length from the base of the head about 1-1/2" longer than the hole in the assembled joint.
The sources include track maintenance contractors and salvage companies, or in desparation, new bolts from Lewis Bolt or some other supplier to the industry.
When railroads change out smaller rail they are likely to sell the rail for scrap or second hand, but often keep the "trim" (bolts, anchors, joint bars) because it is hard to find.

Date: 10/06/21 02:25
Author: BurtNorton

Lewis Nut and Bolt has always been competitive for track bolts, lag bolts, etc. While I only buy larger quantities for my railroads, they will sell small quantities.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/07/21 19:40
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

Try Sharps and fellows in Gardena, Ca.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0374 seconds