Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Some images from the Natron Cutoff

Date: 11/25/21 13:53
Some images from the Natron Cutoff
Author: stanhunter

I drove from Stayton, Oregon, to Fair Oaks, California, last Saturday, November 20, 2021, and went by way of Oakridge and Klamath Falls, along the ex-SP Cascade Route, aka the Natron Cutoff.  It was a beautiful day, and I saw several eastward (northbound, in UP parlance) trains.  Here are a few photos from that trip.

1 and 2.  Amtrak train 14, the Coast Starlight, passes through Oakridge, Oregon.
3.  Helpers parked in Oakridge.

Date: 11/25/21 14:04
Re: Some images from the Natron Cutoff

4 and 5.  Lots of stored locomotives in Klamath Falls.  I miss the simple, old-style UP paint, without flags, zigzags, etc.

6.  Not sure of the history of this building, but I like it.  

Date: 11/25/21 14:13

7 and 8.  UP 6651 East (I know it's north, but it'll always be east to me) approaches Dorris, California, with Mt Shasta looming in the distance.

9.  UP 6651 East is about to enter Tunnel 1 just north of Dorris.

Date: 11/25/21 14:23

10.  Another eastbound skirts the flanks of Shasta at Hotlum, in the area that burned this past summer.  The Dry Canyon Trestle is just out of view to the left.

11 and 12.  I got to the top end of Lake Shasta just at twilight, in time to see how low the water level is, and to see the abandoned tunnel from the original SP alignment.

Thanks for looking!

Stan Hunter
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 11/25/21 16:35
Author: ShoreLineRoute

Great B&W!
Oliver Barrett

Date: 05/18/22 16:16
Author: kurtarmbruster

Nice photos, Stan. I agree--and did not know UP still ran helpers over Willamette Pass. Thanks for sharing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0417 seconds