Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Train Order Book Tuesday Part 4 Transfer and Conclusion

Date: 12/21/21 11:11
Train Order Book Tuesday Part 4 Transfer and Conclusion
Author: Zephyr

As we close our discussion around the use of the Train Order Book by the Train Dispatcher, there was one very important process at the end of the Train Dispatcher's shift that required completion.

The "Transfer" of "live" Track and/or Train Orders from one Train Dispatcher to the following Train Dispatcher using the same Train Order book was just as important as the Train Orders themselves.  

In the photo below we see that a Transfer to Train Dispatcher F D Moss is occurring at 800AM.  Listed first are "live" (not superseded, fulfilled or annulled) Track Orders (Slow Orders).  The 700 series Track Orders on the SPRR were "slow" or right of way warning orders.  The 800 series Track Orders were Form "Y" orders containing specific locations where maintenance or other personnel were working requiring trains to contact the Foreman in charge of the work to proceed.  Listed second are "live" Train Orders that Train Dispatcher Moss will accept as part of his shift starting at 800AM.

By signing this little summary of what is still "live" in the previous shift, Dispatcher Moss accepts what the previos Train Dispatcher (Baumhefner) has issued up to this point.  Once signed, Train Dispatcher Baumhefner can pack up his bag and go home and attempt to get some rest prior to 1159PM when he will return to work and start the process all over again!

In my 3 years as a Train Dispatcher, I only had one instance where a following Train Dispatcher refused to sign the transfer, taking exception to a meet I had arranged.  I quickly adjusted the meet through the issuance of a new meet order and all was good!

Hope everyone has enjoyed this short and simplified journey through a typical SPRR Los Angeles Division Coast Train Dispatcher's Train Order Book in the early 70's.

Please have safe and healthy holidays!

Pete Baumhefner
Oxnard, California

Date: 12/21/21 18:16
Re: Train Order Book Tuesday Part 4 Transfer and Conclusion
Author: cewherry

With 12 orders to read and digest, I suppose the turnover process could be quite lengthy; I know it
would be for me; but for an experienced DS it would probably go a lot faster. Is there any significance
of the check marks above the "live" movement orders but nothing above the 700 and 800's? I assume
they were placed by the relieving DS as he read them.

Fred Moss and his brother W. Dave Moss were firemen, Fred--1959, Dave--1961, and both lost their seniority in the 
1964 Fireman Off experience. I had forgotten about Fred going into DS work. Dave got back into engine service in 1965. 

Nice series, Pete.

Charlie

Date: 12/22/21 11:20

Thanks Charlie!

The check marks were made by the relieving Train Dispatcher as he or she read through them.  Had forgotten Fred was once in engine service.  Doc Jones can tell us about the time Fred managed to set up an "Irish Lap" between Oxnard and Camarillo.  For those who don't know, an "Irish Lap" was a unique situation inadvertantly established by the Train Dispatcher in Train Order territory where neither trains opposing each other had authority to occupy a stretch of track between stations.  In order to alleviate the situation, if the trains were at non-open stations, the Train Dispatcher had to issue orders over the phone, radio or use the Train Order Operator to go out and deliver the orders to one of the trains.

Date: 12/22/21 11:50
Author: TAW

Zephyr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For those who don't know, an "Irish
> Lap" was a unique situation inadvertantly
> established by the Train Dispatcher in Train Order
> territory where neither trains opposing each other
> had authority to occupy a stretch of track between
> stations.  In order to alleviate the situation,
> if the trains were at non-open stations, the Train
> Dispatcher had to issue orders over the phone,
> radio or use the Train Order Operator to go out
> and deliver the orders to one of the trains.

First I have heard the term. I've always known that as being wired apart.

TAW

Date: 12/22/21 12:06
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

Great series Pete.  I remember Bakken did a lap one day between a westbound and an eastbound between Ventura and Oxnard.  I heard the term was called "close the book"... My understanding is when a dispatcher makes a major boo boo a new trainorder book is started.

Date: 12/22/21 12:32
Author: WAF

SanJoaquinEngr Wrote:
> Great series Pete.  I remember Bakken did a lap
> one day between a westbound and an eastbound
> between Ventura and Oxnard.  I heard the term was
> called "close the book"... My understanding is
> when a dispatcher makes a major boo boo a new
> trainorder book is started.

Correct. Book becomes part of an investigation. Of my Coast books between San Jose and SLO, I have one that was closed

Date: 12/22/21 15:27

Thanks Jim!

Oh, yes, Bakken was quite a dispatcher if you know what I mean.  He was the son of Augie Bakken, the Rules Examiner and Safety guy on the SPRR when I first hired out.  You probably remember him.

I had the book "closed" on me once when Conductor Albert Jehl and I agreed that he could operate a patched train from Chatsworth to Los Angeles as an "Engine".  We were technically correct, as it was Yard Limits for the entire route, but the move was frowned upon by the Night Chief, Mike Chavez and he closed the book on me.  I received a "firm" verbal reprimand from Nighswonger, but no investigation.

Date: 12/22/21 21:32
Author: W_P_SignalTechnician

Pete,

Thanks for doing this series.  Most interesting and I learned a couple of new terms today.  I had never heard of an Irish Lap before.  Also never heard of closing the book.  

In my 37 years with the railroad I never worked with train orders.  All CTC or TWC.  

JLA

Date: 12/23/21 17:50

You're most welcome JLA!  As us "old heads" fade into the sunset, I think it's important to share some of the legacy, legends and traditions of how things were accomplished in a previous era of railroading that seemed more congenial, team oriented and fun.

Merry Christmas!

Pete

Date: 12/23/21 18:11

Zephyr Wrote:
> You're most welcome JLA!  As us "old heads" fade
> into the sunset, I think it's important to share
> some of the legacy, legends and traditions of how
> things were accomplished in a previous era of
> railroading that seemed more congenial, team
> oriented and fun.
>
> Merry Christmas!
>
> Pete

Did you save the train sheet for this day?

Date: 12/24/21 11:55

Unfortunately, I only saved one train sheet from September 1971 and none from November 1971.  I should have taken the entire drawer full when I had the chance as Asst. Superintendent.

Date: 12/24/21 15:34

A sad sorry. You could do another story with your lone train sheet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/21 15:35 by WAF.

Date: 01/28/22 20:40
Author: Quakerengr

We had 1 dispatcher tell us he needed to get to his afternoon golf game, in Forth Worth,  after working first shift.  As his relief came to the desk he walked briskly by him and said, "  East is East  and West is West".   He made his golf game.

PWM

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0519 seconds