Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > RIP Don Douglas

Date: 05/26/22 22:20
RIP Don Douglas
Author: stevef

Earlier this week, on May 24, longtime Southern Pacific railroader Don Douglas passed on. 

Don Douglas trained as a train-order operator at Castroville in late July 1955, established his seniority date on August 13th, and started working the extra board on Southern Pacific's Coast Division between San Francisco and Santa Barbara. Over the years he worked train-order operator, towerman, agency, and clerical positions.  He was a long time first trick operator at the San Jose Telegraph train order position in the San Jose Depot.  In 1992, Don took a leave of absence from SP to work for Amtrak on the Peninsula commute operations. After Union Pacific took over SP, Don returned to UP and worked in the time keeping bureau in San Francisco until March 31, 1997, when he took a buy-out from Union Pacific.

Don contributed a lot to the recording of Northern California Railroad History, as he wrote and edited the Ferroequinologist for over 40 years, 2 different times finally ending as editor in 2003.  The Ferroequinologist is the monthly newsletter that continues to be and has been published monthly without fail for 70 years since 1952 for the Central Coast Railroad Club/Central Coast Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society. Don's great stories along with his dry wit were also legend.

RIP Don.

Date: 05/27/22 18:36
Re: RIP Don Douglas
Author: CPCoyote

I didn’t know Don that well, but I did have a few encounters with him. Always seemed like a good guy. Thank you for letting us know of his passing.
RIP Don.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/28/22 09:00
Re: RIP Don Douglas
Author: kilroydiver

I was saddened to hear of his passing a few days ago. I would occasionally go visit with Don on my way home from work and boy did I cherish hearing his stories first hand! Reading them in the Ferro was one thing but to hear his tales in person was something I will always remember. That and he was such a great person.

RIP Don, you'll be missed!

Dave 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0273 seconds