Home Open Account Help 215 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Oldest crew out goes home on the SP!

Date: 03/28/23 22:48
Oldest crew out goes home on the SP!
Author: ApproachCircuit

This was going on during the time that TM Johnson was in charge there. Pool crews when called at Tracy, CA, were sent either to Roseville or on the West Side Line to Fresno. Once you were at either place and rested,
you joined the Chain Gang! You worked Roseville to Fresno back and forth until your crew was the oldest remaining crew working on  the Chain Gang Pool. At that time you were sent home via the West Valley Line or vis 
Lathrop to Tracy where you went to the bottom of the Pool. Al in all, not a bad job.
I have seen Tracy more than once under a full "Jackpot"; in other words the yard was so full that nothing seemed to move!

Date: 03/29/23 02:39
Re: Oldest crew out goes home on the SP!
Author: goldcoast

Of course that would be Harry Johnson, TM.

Date: 03/29/23 13:09
Author: sp3204

Of course that would be "Holiday" Harry Johnson, Trainmaster. You are correct on a lot of the deadheading moves except one. If the Engineer was Gary (Hungry) Hyman he would always be looking to trade with another engineer to stay out there and continue working instead of going home to Tracy and going to the bottom of the pool! He was a legend and one of the most beloved Railroaders ever working in that area.

Date: 03/29/23 18:47
Author: Cabhop

I would see these guys working this job in Fresno.  They carried grips like steamer trunks to hold all the cloths and other necessities as they could get caught on the away from home for several days. 

Date: 03/30/23 12:56
Author: Drknow

Called for 5 days sucks, God I don’t miss the work trains. Other than the good food and cold beer after work.

Regards

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/04/23 15:51
Author: tehachcond

When I was working out of Bakersfield to Fresno in 1967, I heard that arrangement referred to as the "Devil's Triamgle."

Brian Black
Castle Rock, CO.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.035 seconds