Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > To: T&E Multiple T/S's in one Day!

Date: 04/01/23 06:54
To: T&E Multiple T/S's in one Day!
Author: ApproachCircuit

Did you ever turn in four(4) T/S in a single day? It was fairly easy to Triple and most everybody did.
But 400 miles plus in one day?
Let's see: You get called out right after midnight for a DH to protect an outside point and the job works a short day. You then DH back to your home terminal and get your rest.
Thats  three  (3) T/S already. Later that day you are called out again! The board is short, everyboy laid off for a party or game or whatever. So you take a call anf off you go!
Thats  four separate T/S's in one day. I guess it could happen and probably did. Big Money and we all loved that!

Date: 04/01/23 08:32
Re: To: T&E Multiple T/S's in one Day!
Author: Notch7

Yes, once had four tickets in 24 hours due to shortage of firemen on SCL.  I was working my hostler job at Raleigh NC watering passenger engines when told to deadhead to Richmond VA on that passenger train.  Took rest at Richmond and worked passenger train back to Raleigh.  Watered those passenger engines and did my regular Raleigh hostler day.

Date: 04/01/23 12:52
Author: Trainhand

I made 4 in one day once. I was on the Manning board in Savannah and was called to DH to Jacksonville ffor a School Boy Special. Went to Jax on a passeenger train, got 4 hours out, came back towards Savannah. Dispatcher calls and asks if the Engineer is qualified to Florence, He was. Dispatcher's answer was both of you are going to Florence. Got to Florence and Deadheaded back on the Auto Train which was coming into the station as we were. That was 2 working tickets and 2 DHs. Jax Savannah tickets were 148 miles each, and Savannah-Florence tickets were 200 miles each. Right at700 miles total. A very good day.

Sam

Date: 04/01/23 13:19
Author: sp3204

This one should have some pretty interesting situations. I was sitting in the Bakersfield yard office (SP days) waiting for my West Colton to Roseville drag around 9am one day. Multiple short time east bounds trying to get close to Bakersfield. This patch crew kept going west no farther  than the second siding out and would haul ass back to Bako where east bound crews were on duty! They held onto their Renzenberger van and would immediately call the chief for more paperwork to get back west to grab another short time eastbound that had run out of time. This whole process had started before my on duty time of 9am and they probably never went farther than 20 miles west. I was sitting there joking with them when they had completed 5 patches all paying basic days and laughed when they got back and talked there way into going for #6 which was sitting in the siding at Saco which is the first siding west of Bakersfield. After arriving back with #6 they had taken care of everything that had died west of Bakersfield. They had a little over 1 hour to work and asked me where my train was. I laughed and said you are some greedy b*******s as the Conductor was already on the phone to the Chief. I told the Hoghead that it wasn't far out of Bena last I had heard but wasn't sure exactly? The Chief thought 6 was evidently enough as a new patch crew showed up to go get my train. All I thought was if a crew see's a benefit, they can really move! A very profitable 11 hours and  45 or so minutes on duty for sure.

Date: 04/01/23 15:22
Author: santafe199

Back in my Santa Fe days (before Emporia, KS was eliminated as a crew-change point) I remember hearing about an extra-board conductor who quadrupled the road one day. With NO deadheads involved. Here's how it happened: The man (name forgotten) went on duty just after midnight, home-bound for Emporia out of Sand Creek (Newton) as I recall. He got fully rested -at least 8 hrs off- and went to work on a hotshot to Wellington. And his crew doubled right back to Emporia. In those days it was possible to ride Wellington hotshots down & back in as little as 4 hrs. He got another 8+ hours off, and was legally rested to taken a 4th call out of Emporia just before midnight of that same 24 hour period. All the details had to fall exactly into place, but it was certainly possible without any undo shenanigans...

Lance/199 

Date: 04/01/23 21:25
Author: ExSPCondr

My brakeman and I can beat that!  We were on an Eastbound out of Roseville called for 10pm.  When we went to get the engines out of the roundhouse, the speedometer didn't work

We coupled the engines to the cars, and the roundhouse put on a new axle drive.  When we pulled up the running track, the speedometer still didn't work, so we stopped at the East end of the running track and the roundhouse came out and put on a new head.  We pulled out to the main track, and the speedo still didn't work, so we stopped with the rear just clear of the yard, and called for the roundhouse again.

The assistant terminal superintendent figured we were trying to screw him, so he took the crew off of the first of three trains that were called behind us to come up and take our train, and busted our call.  The whole problem with the speedo was the wires between the axle drive and the head, so when they changed the wires, the speedo worked.

The SP trainmen's agreement provided that when a crew was relieved, and the relief crew made the away terminal before the relieved crew would have expired, the relieved crew is paid 100 miles.  All three trains behind us made Sparks before 10am, so that paid us 300 miles.

The next provision which paid 50 miles, was when the relieved crew had 4 hours off, but not 8, and another train was called and made the yard limits at the other end in the time we had to work.  They called two trains between our 4 and 8 hours off, that paid us 50 miles twice.

Bottom line, we got a hundred miles for the 3 1/2 hours on duty, 300 miles for the three trains that were on duty and 50 miles twice for the two on duty between 4 and 8, or one working timeslip and five claims.

The best part of this was that the ATS thought he was hurting us by sending us home and cutting us out of about 2 1/2 hours of straight time initial delay.  Not to mention sending us home at 1 in the morning facing an all night trip, and instead being first out at 9am.  Wound me some more!
G

Date: 04/04/23 14:10
Author: johnsweetser

What is a "T/S?"

Date: 04/04/23 15:12
Author: PHall

johnsweetser Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is a "T/S?"

Time slip, what you submit to get paid.

Date: 04/04/23 15:45
Author: tehachcond

sp3204 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This one should have some pretty interesting
> situations. I was sitting in the Bakersfield yard
> office (SP days) waiting for my West Colton to
> Roseville drag around 9am one day. Multiple short
> time east bounds trying to get close to
> Bakersfield. This patch crew kept going west no
> farther  than the second siding out and would
> haul ass back to Bako where east bound crews were
> on duty! They held onto their Renzenberger van and
> would immediately call the chief for more
> paperwork to get back west to grab another short
> time eastbound that had run out of time. This
> whole process had started before my on duty time
> of 9am and they probably never went farther than
> 20 miles west. I was sitting there joking with
> them when they had completed 5 patches all paying
> basic days and laughed when they got back and
> talked there way into going for #6 which was
> sitting in the siding at Saco which is the first
> siding west of Bakersfield. After arriving back
> with #6 they had taken care of everything that had
> died west of Bakersfield. They had a little over 1
> hour to work and asked me where my train was. I
> laughed and said you are some greedy b*******s as
> the Conductor was already on the phone to the
> Chief. I told the Hoghead that it wasn't far out
> of Bena last I had heard but wasn't sure exactly?
> The Chief thought 6 was evidently enough as a new
> patch crew showed up to go get my train. All I
> thought was if a crew see's a benefit, they can
> really move! A very profitable 11 hours and  45
> or so minutes on duty for sure.

And I can imagine all the SP wanted to pay that crew was continuous time and miles.

Brian Black
Castle Rock, CO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0653 seconds