Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Railroaders' Nostalgia > Retired SP conductor Delby Melton has hit the derail.

Date: 04/03/23 09:07
Retired SP conductor Delby Melton has hit the derail.
Author: usmc1401

Delbert "Delby" Melton died about march 30 2023. He worked for the SP then UP and did not like the UP even ten years before the merger. He was the conductor for years on the EL Segundo job switching Allied  Chemical and Chevron. We was also a reserve police officer with the City of Hermosa Beach in summer he worked day beach patrol and the railroad at night. He arrseted a muder suspect one time near the beach. The Hermosa Beach police station was located on the ATSF Redondo District. At least once he ran the SP power with caboose from Wise interchange in El Segundo to Hermosa Beach at night. He was a great guy but have not seen him for about two years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/23 17:34 by usmc1401.

Date: 04/04/23 18:30
Re: Retired SP conductor Delby Melton has hit the derail.
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

Delby was a one of a kind. When I hired out worked regular with him at El Segundo. He took me under his wing and taught me how to switch cars. He never wore boots or safety shoes always worked in his tennis shoes. Knew he had heart issues.
I used to see him directing traffic in HB. I would tell him hey out of the street !
Years later I bought a property in the south bay and had Delby do a pre buyers inspection for me. He didn't even charge me.
He was one hell of a man and will be sorely missed. Another great SP legends gone but not forgotten. RIP

Posted from Android

Date: 04/04/23 18:44
Author: goneon66

i knew delby for over 40 yrs.  he was the older brother i never had.

the memories of him and the great times we had will not be forgotten.

R.I.P. Brother................

Date: 04/21/23 14:41
Author: Cabhop

Thanks for the post.  Delby was a great guy.  I broke for him for probably a year on a job out of old Dolores that worked Shell and Richfield refineries.  I needed a 'quit' job as I was "double heading" going to school [Cal Poly Pomona] while continue to work for the SP.  No one was better at getting a quit than Delby.  We never worked more than about 4 hrs and that included taking a short break to drink a beer or two.  Delby never took the job too serious . I can see where he wouldn't have like the UP.  He wanted a short hour job so he could play on the beach every day.  
RIP Delby

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0286 seconds