Home Open Account Help 272 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Any Pittsburgh area info?

Date: 09/22/05 04:21
Any Pittsburgh area info?
Author: GreenFlag

I have a trip coming up in October to Sandpatch, the West Slope and Southwest PA. We have a free day with nothing currently planned on Sunday, Oct 16th. Anybody have any suggestions on any "hot spots" for trains or even any non-rail sites to see while in the Pittsburgh area?
Also, I have not decided on a place to stay for Sunday night(flight home on Monday). Any suggestions on what area to stay in while in Pittsburgh?
Much thanks in advance for any ideas and info!

Date: 09/22/05 05:12
Re: Any Pittsburgh area info?
Author: Wade6573

McKeesport, Homestead, Pittsburgh's South Side, the Westinghouse Bridge, and any place on NS's Fort Wayne Line west of CP Bell all qualify as hot spots. Some of these locations were discussed not too long ago, try doing a TO search to see what you can find.

For a fine view of the city check out either Mount Washington or the West End Overlook. There's plenty of shopping, dining, and entertainment in the Strip District, South Side, and Station Square areas.

If you'd like an upscale trackside motel, there's the Sheraton at Station Square. A Holiday Inn Express is located on the South Side, not far from the CSX tracks.

-Wade

Date: 09/22/05 12:55
Author: Winks

Date: 09/22/05 19:02
Author: RuleG

For hotels you may want to stay in Greentree where rates will be a little cheaper than the top hotels in Downtown Pittsburgh. There are several (Radisson, Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn) which are very near the Wheeling & Lake Erie Rook Yard. Although W & LE traffic is very light compared to CSX, you may catch a D & RGW painted locomotive on the W & LE. Greentree is a suburb next to the City of Pittsburgh and is located on the highway leading to the airport.

If you have a very early Monday flight, you may want to consider staying at the Hyatt which is located next to the airport terminal building.

There will be a Steelers home game on October 16th. Unless you want to take part in Steelers mania, it is best to avoid the North Shore area (the part of the City located across the Allegheny River from Downtown Pittsburgh).

Here are a few non-railfan attractions:

Senator John Heinz Pittsburgh Regional History Center located in the Strip District (not completely non-railfan, there is a Pittsburgh trolley on display!).

Schenley Park, Cathedral of Learning, Carnegie Museum of Art and Natural History & Phipps Conservancy in Oakland.

Highland Park Zoo

Mt. Washington - great views of the city and some good restaurants & bars. Take an incline to the top!

South Side - Historic District with lots of restaurants and bars.

Have a great time in Pittsburgh - let us know how your visit goes.

Dave

Date: 09/23/05 10:45
Author: GreenFlag

Thanks for the above info on things to do, places to see and where to stay in Pittsburgh. Also, thanks for the heads up on the Steelers game that day.
Our flight is Monday afternoon, so we'll have Monday morning for photos also. I have been to Sandpatch and the West Slope before, but never to Pittsburgh. I will post some photos after the trip.

Date: 09/23/05 14:52
Author: MLC

There is a MOTEL 6 off the expressway leading from the airport to downtown Pittsburgh. I've stayed there, it's clean and relativley cheap.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0555 seconds