Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Heading for Nashville...Knoxville...Help Appreciated...

Date: 09/27/05 10:17
Heading for Nashville...Knoxville...Help Appreciated...
Author: the_expediter

Flying to Nashville Sat. with the lil' lady. (who's not a railfan) Any suggestions about what to see in the area...and any good computer sources for RR maps (current) of TN. My Mcnally RR atlas from 1971 is great, but many of those lines are probably abandoned by now...And any good restaraunts you like in Nashville would be welcomed knowledge too...Thanks in Advance, Steve in San Diego

Date: 09/27/05 10:51
Re: Heading for Nashville...Knoxville...Help Appreciate
Author: NormSchultze

You've gotta have wheels to get from BNA to TYS... Lets see.
If using IH40. Visible at Crab Orchard, Franklin Industrial Minerals. Runs M-F getting together at 0800. Uses B23-7 painted nicely 15 Miles to Rockwood. TVA-Kingston. Still has tracks, no longer sure about ops. TVA Gallatin. Has baby Trainmaster. Be sure to check in. They get their shorts in a knot if you just believe the sign that sez Welcome to the Gallatin Steam Plant.

Knoxville has a neat CSX bridge downtown. The 3Rivers Rambler Steam train may be running when you get there www.threeriversrambler.com. There is an operation at Oak Ridge-right thru the former nuke plant www.techscribes.com/sarm/sarm.htm.

Then there is what was formerly known as the Rathole. Best places are in KY.

Date: 09/27/05 12:53
Author: lee45174

Go to Topozone.com for your maps and Google Earth in the Nashville Area for detailed satellite photos (color) of the area. A great place to watch trains is the market area down by the Capitol Building and at the bridge over the river also in downtown. Don't forget the RR Museum on the south side of downtown.

Date: 09/27/05 15:53
Nashville
Author: Bryan_

Date: 09/27/05 15:56
Knoxville
Author: Bryan_

I-40 between Nashville and Knoxville has been a real pain the few times I've had to endure it.

The Three Rivers Rambler was a neat ride in Knoxville.
http://www.threeriversrambler.com/

Date: 09/27/05 16:52
Author: n8oay

I have several Nashville and other Tennessee locations documented with maps on my web page at http://www.railfanswelcome.com

Dave

Date: 09/27/05 20:51
Author: VERNON1946

I think you can stay, at the Historic "UNION STATION HOTEL". Located down-town. If I ever get to Nashville again (and I can afford it); that is where I am staying. One main attraction you need to see, is the RYMAN AUDITORIUM. THE FORMER HOME OF THE 'GRAND OLE OPRY." Which was originally built as a Church! Located on Church Street, Downtown. Have a great time....VERNON from Missouri

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0509 seconds