Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Marietta, PA, Resident unhappy about Proposed Hot Box D

Date: 04/19/06 16:16
Marietta, PA, Resident unhappy about Proposed Hot Box D
Author: dsktc

Apr 19, 2006.

"LANCASTER COUNTY, PA - Marietta residents are up in arms over a railroad's plan to erect a shed in a historic section of the borough, claiming it will destroy the character of the area.

"They also question whether the proposal by Norfolk Southern may signal the advent of faster, louder trains passing through Marietta.

"A spokesman for the railroad denied Norfolk Southern has plans to run "fast freight" -- trains traveling up to 60 mph -- through the borough.

"Another official said only a limited number of sites are available for the shed, which will house required safety-related equipment.

"Residents became alarmed when Norfolk Southern recently began working on the shed site, railroad-owned property across from the 200 block of West Front Street.

"Most of the homes and a few businesses in the block are listed on the National Register of Historic Properties."

http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/22084

Dave

Date: 04/19/06 17:29
Re: Marietta, PA, Resident unhappy about Proposed Hot B
Author: HB90MACH

NS needs to put the spin on it that they ar edoing it to help protect the histric places. Plus it would not kill them to back dat it so it looked mor ein place.

Date: 04/19/06 18:33
Author: Lackawanna484

That would seem like a no-brainer for NS to put some trim and a slate roof on the "shed" to fit right in. Brick would be even nicer

Let the local garden club landscape the area and it would look real purty and all...

Date: 04/19/06 19:20
Author: DPutz

I'd be willing to bet a few ppl would donate their time/money to make it fit it... I know I would.

--Dan

Date: 04/19/06 21:13
Author: tucker

...then the first person who breaks a fingernail trying to make the shed look nice ends up sueing NS. NS will not let private citizens back date the shed and quite frankly I don't see where people in this neighborhood can control what NS does on it's property.

Date: 04/19/06 22:15
Author: cr6972

NIMBY alliance strikes again.

Date: 04/20/06 03:06
Author: LFM159

A few years back {well, more than a few, it was Seaboard System), C S X built a storage shed in the junction at Anchorage, Ky. The city made them tear it down!

Date: 04/20/06 07:11
Author: trainmaster3

If there is a local zoning code that requires buildings to meet an appearance aspect, then everybody in the community has already ponied up for the privelege of living/building there in some form or another. NS is likely not bound by the local zoning code for an electrical appliance cabinet, so if this aspect of community relations is important to them then I guess they'll act accordingly. I see it as a legitimate gripe I guess, but I'd also wager most communities have more important concerns.

Date: 04/20/06 10:03
Author: DRLOCO

For what it is worth, I think that those people should've realized the railroad was there first, and quit their bitching...Logically, the next step for NS to take is to keep their trains "historically accurate to comply with Marietta Zoning codes."--Run some steam engines (Or some GE's) to dump smoke and soot all over those nice peoples Sunday Wash out on the clothes line--then just let them complain about that!

Now, I remember an article in Railway Age a few years back that had Metra putting up crossing bungalows along the ritzier suburbs of Chicago(Naiperville-Downers Grove)that were the standard steel boxes, but they were painted up to look like terra-cotta with faux tile roofs. People didn't seem much to mind it then. Perhaps in an effort of goodwill, NS will do just that. But I wouldnt.

DRLOCO--the public be damned!

Date: 04/20/06 11:13
Author: mc5725

Outside of my home city of Rochester is the snootiest town in the area-- the town of Pittsford. EVERY building in this town is made of expensive, matching (and ugly) brick. I remember a McDonald's was built and everyone had a fit about how it didn't match.

If something is an eyesore, avert your eyes, and don't complain about it. The railroad WAS there first, making it the most historic thing there. And I want to know why the mayor approves slower trains. Does it give the snooty idiots more time to get off the tracks or something?

>>MC>> to towns like Marietta-- GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: 04/20/06 12:17
Author: TV-10

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That would seem like a no-brainer for NS to put
> some trim and a slate roof on the "shed" to fit
> right in. Brick would be even nicer

Move the detector a few miles out of town. Cheaper, and end of debate.

Date: 04/20/06 14:46
Author: dsktc

Not true, sir.

Marietta existed long before the RR or PA canal
arrived.

Dave

DRLOCO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For what it is worth, I think that those people
> should've realized the railroad was there first,
> and quit their bitching...Logically, the next step
> for NS to take is to keep their trains
> "historically accurate to comply with Marietta
> Zoning codes."--Run some steam engines (Or some
> GE's) to dump smoke and soot all over those nice
> peoples Sunday Wash out on the clothes line--then
> just let them complain about that!
>
> Now, I remember an article in Railway Age a few
> years back that had Metra putting up crossing
> bungalows along the ritzier suburbs of
> Chicago(Naiperville-Downers Grove)that were the
> standard steel boxes, but they were painted up to
> look like terra-cotta with faux tile roofs.
> People didn't seem much to mind it then. Perhaps
> in an effort of goodwill, NS will do just that.
> But I wouldnt.
>
> DRLOCO--the public be damned!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0648 seconds