Home Open Account Help 249 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > 2nd. best

Date: 09/13/06 14:07
2nd. best
Author: m1bprr

Planning a rail weekend in middle October to CSX Sand Patch. will be staying at the 2nd. best train spot, the A frame chateau at Fairhope, PA. crossing. Booked for two days. Anyone out there ever stay there? What do you think of the place?

Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Date: 09/13/06 14:52
Re: 2nd. best
Author: keysubdiv

never stayed there but I would say that`s the Hyndman Helper shoving a loaded ore train at Mance. MP.208

TWL

m1bprr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Planning a rail weekend in middle October to CSX
> Sand Patch. will be staying at the 2nd. best train
> spot, the A frame chateau at Fairhope, PA.
> crossing. Booked for two days. Anyone out there
> ever stay there? What do you think of the place?
>
> Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Date: 09/13/06 15:50
Aerial view
Author: cinder

This view from above (closer to the "first best place"....Heaven) spys on Fairhope. Earl is a gracious host. You should enjoy your stay. Did Mance once have a signal at mp208? Or is that the Maxwell signal near Fairhope?

Date: 09/13/06 15:59
Author: m1bprr

keysubdiv Wrote:
> never stayed there but I would say that`s the
> Hyndman Helper shoving a loaded ore train at
> Mance. MP.208
>
> TWL
>
>
>
> m1bprr Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Planning a rail weekend in middle October to
> CSX
> > Sand Patch. will be staying at the 2nd. best
> train
> > spot, the A frame chateau at Fairhope, PA.
> > crossing. Booked for two days. Anyone out there
> > ever stay there? What do you think of the
> place?
> >
> > Ed K. cp Laurel Run

You know its been so long since I took that shot, it may very well be Mance. We often camped trackside at both locations.

Ed K.

Date: 09/13/06 16:25
Re: Aerial view
Author: keysubdiv

The automatic at MP.208 was the distant signal for Otter`s before the flood and Rule 261 TCS on the east slope. Here`s a couple of photos taken from behind 614 on the Patch. 9-21-80:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,1232623

TWL

cinder Wrote:
> This view from above (closer to the "first best
> place"....Heaven) spys on Fairhope. Earl is a
> gracious host. You should enjoy your stay. Did
> Mance once have a signal at mp208? Or is that the
> Maxwell signal near Fairhope?

Date: 09/13/06 17:01
Author: NS4271

I've stayed there two times and it is very nice. The owner and his wife are very friendly hospitable people. And they make a great breakfast too. I would recommend staying there.
However,you really can't see the trains all that well from the A frame. If you step outside the front door and look to your left, you can see the Fairhope crossing area in the distance somewhat.

Date: 09/14/06 05:23
Author: drwes

Ed,

Earl and his wife are wonderful hosts. Their hospitality can only be equaled by Tom Davis at the Station Inn in Cresson. ALCO is quite correct: from the "A" frame, you can't see the tracks. However, in October, the view is spectacular and the weather even better. Take a portable chair, something to drink, a sweatshirt and your camera and just sit and relax. Wait until the Amtrak comes through around 9:00 PM! What a sight! You could also sit on one of the two observation stands that Earl has made for railfans. The only problem is there's not that much traffic through those CSX mainlines, but still, the visit will be rewarding and relaxing.

Attached are three pictures I took from the very place I'm recommending that you sit. These were taken in October '04. Ask Earl how to get to Falls Cut Tunnel from there. It's very close and well worth the effort. Also, don't forget to go to Sand Patch and Mance. Again, you're very close.

Wes

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1921 seconds