Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NE Corridor Question (CSX?)

Date: 09/18/06 09:02
NE Corridor Question (CSX?)
Author: s0450982

While taking a NJ Transit train from Newark Airport to Penn Station, I noticed a double stack train going south on the Eastern tracks of the NE Corridor. While it was dark outside, it looked like trailers that would come south on Q-254 (mitsui osk and china shipping trailers). Any ideas what this train was?

Date: 09/18/06 12:03
Re: NE Corridor Question (CSX?)
Author: bioyans

s0450982 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While taking a NJ Transit train from Newark
> Airport to Penn Station, I noticed a double stack
> train going south on the Eastern tracks of the NE
> Corridor. While it was dark outside, it looked
> like trailers that would come south on Q-254
> (mitsui osk and china shipping trailers). Any
> ideas what this train was?

Likely one of the stack trains yarding in the Oak Island "Bay Line" tracks. They often have to take headroom toward Island, along the NEC, to make set overs.

Date: 09/19/06 14:29
Re: stacks on NE Corridor
Author: timz

So stacks probably never run under catenary on the NEC? But they do run under ex-Reading catenary, right?

Date: 09/19/06 15:12
Re: stacks on NE Corridor
Author: toledopatch

timz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So stacks probably never run under catenary on the
> NEC? But they do run under ex-Reading catenary,
> right?

There is insufficient clearance on much of the Northeast Corridor for doublestacks. I do not know whether they run under the ex-RDG wires or not. Most, if not all, stack traffic into North Jersey runs either via the ex-LV/CNJ (NS) or the Hudson Valley (CSX). I'm not sure CSX runs any stacks north of Philadelphia to/from the southern portion of its system; if they do, they'd be the ones running the trains under the ex-RDG wire. I suppose one exception might be "garbage stacks" but those are usually smaller containers that don't require as much vertical clearance as merchandise boxes demand.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0347 seconds