Home Open Account Help 298 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Indiana Route/Signalling Question

Date: 05/06/07 08:32
Indiana Route/Signalling Question
Author: bnsfbob

Last week, I was photographing a NS train at N. Manchester, IN on the route that runs south from Elkhart to Marion (and beyond). My map says this line is ex-CR/PC/NYC/Big Four. However, the line has ex-PRR style position light signalling of an apparently recent vintage. Can anyone explain this? Thanks.

Bob

Date: 05/06/07 08:35
Re: Indiana Route/Signalling Question
Author: VunderBob

In the old days of Penn Central, the line was upgraded with welded rail and CTC. The signals were salvaged from an abandonded PRR line.

Date: 05/06/07 09:23
Author: Throttle_JCKY

The Penn Central used signals off a PRR line to upgrade the Branch with signals. The line received major upgrades from Marion north to Goshen. A new connection was built with the PRR's Bradford line at Marion to allow trains around it at 30mph. This lasted until the early 80's when the PRR was abandoned east of Union City. Conrail used the line as an Indianapolis to Elkhart route. The line south of Marion wasn't signaled and called the Dow Secondary.
Today NS owns it, and built a connection at Alexandria to allow trains from the south to reach Elkhart. The line from Alexandria to Marion isn't signaled to this day.

Date: 05/07/07 13:43
Author: wabash2800

I understand they also have a connection at Wabash (on a grade) that connects with the former Wabash.

Date: 05/07/07 19:23
Author: Throttle_JCKY

That was an NS project to allow a different routing of Decatur-Detroit traffic, also a different more direct Toledo route too. They can also run Stacks down that segment because its north of the bridge.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0299 seconds