wonder how much a leased diesel would cost per
day??
Also,can they ( LTEX ) make a leasing agreement
for a month ?? Year ???

JLSeale

Date: 09/10/08 18:46
Re: LTEX leasing price
Author: tenthovi

Most leasing companies will base a lease on short term and on long term. Normally you can lease by the month, several months, or 1, 3, and 5 years. Most leases for locomotives is based though on a per day basis based on the length of time you have the unit. Say you want to lease a GP-38 the normal cost of the engine per day on a 5 year lease will be $100 per day. Now if you want to lease a GP-38 for just one month the rate can be as much as $300 or $400 a day. Now that can vary from company to company. I worked for an industrial railroad as a engineer, and when both our units crapped out they had to lease to GP38-2 from NS. From my understanding the company paid approx. $500 day for over two weeks to lease the engine.

Leases also vary on the type of power you want. Over the last few years non-turbo power is leasing at a higher rate than turbo'd power. Just for the fact there is a demand for power that you can use in switching service. Currently GATX is taking the majority of its GP40/GP40-2 fleet and converting them to GP38-2, and -3 specs.

I hope that answers your question some. There are just so many variables that come into play when you lease a locomotive.

Chris Edwards
Batavia & Ohio Railway Services

Date: 09/11/08 07:22
Re: LTEX leasing price
Author: NateF40Amtrak

I can tell you that the going price for engine with an EMD 645 V12, non-turbo goes for $2,000-$3,000 per month depending on the lease type. It is cheaper to use a locomotive from a leasing company. Railroads tend to charge pretty high rates for their locomotives, even the crappy ones.

Hope this helps some.

NateF40Amtrak
http://Clevelandtrains.net

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0326 seconds