Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Monon Semaphores- North End


Date: 10/28/08 06:57
Monon Semaphores- North End
Author: CGTower

For those fans of the Monon semaphores, I am hearing rumblings of the implementation of Electrocode 8 from Lafayette to Linden, Indiana by mid December, 2008. I am not sure the critical mass of semaphores on the segment per se, but realize that whatever vintage signals are there will likely be eliminated.

CG Tower



Date: 10/28/08 07:34
Re: Monon Semaphores- North End
Author: toledopatch

CGTower Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For those fans of the Monon semaphores, I am
> hearing rumblings of the implementation of
> Electrocode 8 from Lafayette to Linden, Indiana by
> mid December, 2008. I am not sure the critical
> mass of semaphores on the segment per se, but
> realize that whatever vintage signals are there
> will likely be eliminated.
>
> CG Tower

Lafayette to Linden would eliminate four pairs of semaphores and one singleton, leaving only the two pairs and one singleton in Crawfordsville standing.



Date: 10/28/08 07:59
Re: Monon Semaphores- North End
Author: CGTower

Thanks for that insight...I was not sure but I thought there were a few pairs. A trip west may be in order.

CG Tower

toledopatch Wrote:

> Lafayette to Linden would eliminate four pairs of
> semaphores and one singleton, leaving only the two
> pairs and one singleton in Crawfordsville
> standing.



Date: 10/28/08 08:52
Re: Monon Semaphores- North End
Author: CIOR

The stuff for this has been setting at Ames according to CSX_CO for a while now. I believe he posted about it on here at the time also. A quick search would reveal more info.



Date: 10/28/08 11:43
Re: Monon Semaphores- North End
Author: toledopatch

CIOR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The stuff for this has been setting at Ames
> according to CSX_CO for a while now. I believe he
> posted about it on here at the time also. A quick
> search would reveal more info.

Indeed, I recall reading a previous posting that there was a sooner-rather-than-later plan to replace these signals. But this is the first time I can recall reading a more definite deadline.

I guess Lafayette-Crawfordsville just became Priority 1 for an upcoming railfanning weekend, weather permitting.



Date: 10/28/08 12:14
Re: Monon Semaphores- North End
Author: csxt4617

They better get cracking then. I was there a couple weeks ago
and saw no signs of any signal work between Crawfordsville
and South Raub (the northernmost semaphore)



Date: 10/29/08 06:16
Re: Monon Semaphores- North End
Author: hallbf

CGTower Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For those fans of the Monon semaphores, I am
> hearing rumblings of the implementation of
> Electrocode 8 from Lafayette to Linden, Indiana by
> mid December, 2008. I am not sure the critical
> mass of semaphores on the segment per se, but
> realize that whatever vintage signals are there
> will likely be eliminated.
>
> CG Tower


I think you mean Electrocode 5, or maybe they went with 4. Don't be surprised if the new signals go up fast. It looks like all the replacements are the "deer stand type", 4x4 houses with the signal mast on the top. They install pretty quick and with Electrocode the only wires that need to be run are two sets of track leads and a power cable for the AC service. I've had one location installed in a day; that was from just a meter service already set to new house/signal set, track leads run, AC power connected, and final grading/dressing.



Date: 10/29/08 06:19
Re: Monon Semaphores- North End
Author: CGTower

Indeed, Electrocode 5! Sorry, I just noticed that!

CG Tower


hallbf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CGTower Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > For those fans of the Monon semaphores, I am
> > hearing rumblings of the implementation of
> > Electrocode 8 from Lafayette to Linden, Indiana
> by
> > mid December, 2008. I am not sure the critical
> > mass of semaphores on the segment per se, but
> > realize that whatever vintage signals are there
> > will likely be eliminated.
> >
> > CG Tower
>
>
> I think you mean Electrocode 5, or maybe they went
> with 4. Don't be surprised if the new signals go
> up fast. It looks like all the replacements are
> the "deer stand type", 4x4 houses with the signal
> mast on the top. They install pretty quick and
> with Electrocode the only wires that need to be
> run are two sets of track leads and a power cable
> for the AC service. I've had one location
> installed in a day; that was from just a meter
> service already set to new house/signal set, track
> leads run, AC power connected, and final
> grading/dressing.



Date: 11/06/08 06:42
Re: Monon Semaphores- North End
Author: Labby

On 4 November 2008, the CSX construction crew placed the first combined signal tower/signal box at Corwin, just south of county road W1150S. This signal is identified as 00Q-133.08. This installation will replace both semaphore locations; 132.5 and 133.2. These are known as North and South Romney. The construction crew stated that completion of the Corwin installation was slated for mid-December. (only six weeks away)

At this time, CSX is busy correcting issues cited by a recent FRA inspection. This takes away the needed personnel to complete the signal project in large scale, so a smaller crew is completing the work. There is a lot more to this project than dropping a signal box on a stand and delivering a new electrical service, so this may buy us more time to see the semaphores in action.

It would appear that the next location for a semaphore removal would be 130.6, or South Raub. The new electrical service mast is there and construction materials have been placed there. No other signal locations have new service masts or construction materials on hand, therefore, it is doubtful any other locations will be changed until 2009. The Romney signals have undoubtedly seen their last Fall colors.



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0587 seconds