Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > U-Boats, Helicopters and Street Running, we got it all

Date: 02/28/09 14:15
U-Boats, Helicopters and Street Running, we got it all
Author: fireman74

A quick trip to see a U-Boat produced alot today. #1 Ex-CSX MOW U-Boat sits in a fenced in siding at the former Monongahela Railway yard in Brownsville PA.(If anyone knows why it's here or what may happen to it please let us know.) #2 New passing the old. #3 A coal drag crossing the Mon River.

Date: 02/28/09 14:22
Re: U-Boats, Helicopters and Street Running, we got it

#4 At the end of the bridge a stop was made for ice behind the American Legion in West Brownsville. He was stopped right behind this Huey. When They tried to pull out the train pulled apart. #5 When they got moving again We were treated to some street running. #6 At the crossing in West Brownsville some Dumb A** races to the crossing. He is looking right at the train.

Date: 02/28/09 14:23
Author: Lackawanna484

There used to be an Alco T-6 which operated service between a small mine and the Conrail line, just above Brownsville.

I don't recall the line name, but I think the unit came off one of the steel mills in the midwest. May have gone to the Middletown & Hummelstown.

Date: 02/28/09 14:26

#7 The rotary dump at Alicia just outside Brownsville. Some of the coal off of the Former MGA is loaded into barges here. #8 Yes, that is our coal drag again. Thanks for looking. Jay

Date: 02/28/09 14:38
Author: ATSF100WEST

fireman74 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> #6 At the crossing in West Brownsville some Dumb A**
> races to the crossing. He is looking right at the train.

Nice shots and good info.

Does the crossing have flashers on all 4 corners? Seems kind of odd that you'd have flashers facing the same direction of travel that the train is traversing; better stated, how could one not see a train facing you, or in your rear view mirror?

Had to chuckle at the "Load Limit" sign on the street of "8 Tons" - just drive on the tracks!

Thanks for sharing your work,

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 02/28/09 14:47

Yes, there are flashing lights at all four sides of the intersection. Although there are no arms at this crossing you can't help but to hear and see the train coming. There is also a single light next to the sign. That's funny I didn't notice the 8 ton sign. I should look a little better next time I may get more than I bargain for. Again Thanks for looking.

Date: 02/28/09 15:05
Author: JimmyJam

Nice pics ! Its amazing how brazen some people can be there. Several years back I was down there getting some pics and as I was leaving to get back onto Rt88, a Jeep full of kids pulled up to the light right on the tracks. Just then a northbound appeared, moving slow ofcourse, and the kid driving the Jeep decided to blow the light instead of pull off the track. Unfortunately for him it was in plain view of a State Trooper who promptly pulled the Jeep over. I dont see a whole lot of that when I'm in Elizabeth as opposed to West Brownsville, of course the street running in West Brownsville is a good bit longer than in Elizabeth, and much busier too.

Date: 02/28/09 19:23
Author: wmfan3798

fireman74 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
If anyone knows why it's here or what may
> happen to it please let us know.)

The U18B is owned by Consol energy and it serves two puposes at the dumper. They are now working 130 cars trains there and the mover can only handle about 120 so when a loaded train is spoted they cut the rear 10 to 20 cars off and start dumping. Once so many are done they use this engine to shove the rest of the cars south to couple up to what ever is remaining. It also serves as a back up engine. The crossing is just about as modern as you can get and it does have arms

ernie

Date: 02/28/09 21:00
Author: mkostecky

Judging by the oil mess around the exhaust stack I'd say it had some form of major engine failure.
Just my opinion.

Date: 03/01/09 02:45

wmfan3798 Wrote:
The crossing is just
> about as modern as you can get and it does have
> arms

My dad worked at Hillman Barge for 26 years and was surprised when he saw that the crossing was moved. The road now goes down through the old MGA yard. We rode around to see where the new RT 43 was going to cross the river. Thanks for the info. Jay

Date: 03/01/09 07:30
Author: wmfan3798

They took out the 17th street crossing so they could make the tail track from the dumper long enough. Every time I go down there all I can think is boy, what a shame compaired to what used to be there.

Date: 03/01/09 20:03
Author: SD45X

Looks like a great chase.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0527 seconds