Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX National Gateway clearance projects--tunnel changes

Date: 01/18/10 19:14
CSX National Gateway clearance projects--tunnel changes
Author: mikecollins

CSX is spooling up its National Gateway Initiative clearance projects, including changes to Graham Tunnel near Magnolia, W.Va.; Harpers Ferry tunnel in Sandy Hook, Md.; and Catoctin and Point of Rocks tunnels near Point of Rocks, Md. Sounds like the tunnel changes will be either undercutting, or installation of new liners and portals.

A notice in the local newspaper advertised a Feb. 2 "open house" in Harpers Ferry for information and public comment on the changes listed above...proposed modifications to the portal at Harpers Ferry could be a hot local topic.

There's a comprehensive document on the Ohio DOT Web site that outlines the whole project: http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/Communications/TIGER%20Grant%20applications/Final_CSX_NG_Tiger_Application.pdf Scroll down to Appendix A (beginning on page 33 of the 63-page document) for an idea of when specific projects will be undertaken; proposed funding is shown through the first half of 2013.

Looks like most of the West End projects will begin in Q3 of this year. Does anybody know if the remaining CPLs through the area will become casualties of this program? Today I noticed a shiny new relay box near the 770 signal (eastbound, between Weaverton and Brunswick, still a CPL)...are its days numbered?

--Mike

Date: 01/19/10 04:36
Re: CSX National Gateway clearance projects--tunnel cha
Author: tlk

As much as I will hate to see them go, I would have to think that any remaining CPLs on the Cumberland, Metropolitan or Capitol subs are on short time. Get your pictures while you can.

Date: 01/19/10 06:54
Author: RFandPFan

I'm a little surprised they are spending the money on the Point of Rocks tunnel. It is single track and the other track is on the outside of the tunnel, so they could run doubles stacks on the other track.

Date: 01/19/10 08:33
Author: sonderweg

I am not familiar with how these types of projects have progressed in other parts of the country. Can anyone shed light on how well these projects are received by the general public when they affect populated areas? Should those of us in the Washington metro area expect a rash of lawsuits by the NIMBY people?

Date: 01/19/10 08:39
Author: toledopatch

I wouldn't think these clearance projects would have a significant NIMBY effect other than at locations of proposed intermodal terminals, which is what happened in western Ohio. The tracks involved are existing main lines. The only potential "harm" I can envision would be if certain lightly used roads with low-clearance bridges over the tracks were to be closed instead of getting new bridges. Tunnel work in urban areas (e.g. Virginia Avenue) might cause noise and vibration, but that would be temporary.

Date: 01/19/10 08:53
Author: sonderweg

Patch -

I see three issues that people in this area might raise:

1. The potential noise impact of increased intermodal traffic.

2. The potential impact that increased freight traffic will have on MARC commuter rail operations (i.e., delays).

3. Any talk of railroad improvements automatic rekindles the debate on hazmats in this region. Never mind that these tunnel and bridge improvements are not related, but I would be willing to bet that the issue will arise at some point.

All of these issues currently exist at some level, but I'm guessing they will become a little more pronounced as the clearance projects gain momentum.

Date: 01/19/10 09:09
Author: puddlejumper

Still waiting to see what the Virginia Ave. Tunnel project will entail. A railroad employee friend of mine is saying the tunnel will be double tracked and high ceiling. Apparently a shoo-fly track is to be built (Where?!?) to handle traffic while the project is ongoing, and the DC 395 freeway is to be rebuilt/relocated at the same time.

Date: 01/19/10 17:56
Author: 251F

Here is the original Central Corridor Double Stack Initiative Report in PDF form which covers both NS and CSX. NS seemed to implement their portion quite a bit sooner than CSX. Note on PDF page 24, section 1.3 "The Current Study Effort", after initial participation in the study, CSXT elected to drop out and most of the cost and routing benefit results are based on NS participation.

This study dealt mostly with the West Virginia portion of the project.

http://www.energywv.org/community/LandUsePlanData/Additional%20Data%20and%20Studies%20for%20All%20Counties/Central%20corridor%20Double-Stack%20Rail%20Initiative.pdf

Daniel

Date: 01/19/10 20:09
Author: MEKoch

If the destination is the Port of Baltimore, they are more than ready to host any double stack trains when they come.

But that does not mean tunnels such as Howard St. in Baltimore city are ready.

Where do they intend for National Gateway trains to originate in the East?

Date: 01/19/10 21:15
Author: toledopatch

MEKoch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If the destination is the Port of Baltimore, they
> are more than ready to host any double stack
> trains when they come.
>
> But that does not mean tunnels such as Howard St.
> in Baltimore city are ready.
>
> Where do they intend for National Gateway trains
> to originate in the East?

Baltimore, Hampton Roads, Savannah.... no intention to do anything with Howard Street.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0591 seconds