Home Open Account Help 293 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Oct. 21: Amid Rain, Rare 2-unit Consist on WACR

Date: 10/22/10 22:14
Oct. 21: Amid Rain, Rare 2-unit Consist on WACR
Author: KevinB

On my way home from the October 19 chase (see VRS thread below), I ran into a rather large WJNP northbound train that rated VTR GP40 301 and CLP GP38 204 – a nice rare catch of two units on a WACR train. If my calculations were correct, the pair would stay in Newport until Thursday, October 21, before heading back south, as the WACR typically has Wednesday as an off day. When Thursday arrived, so too did the crappy weather. While making an afternoon grocery store run, my wife and I emerged to find mildly clearing skies - she saw my pout and said - "go". I thought I’d take a chance and a trip north to catch at least A photo of the red duo. While traveling north I figured on meeting the train around Bradford…I was a few miles off and ran into it at Fairlee, capturing my first of shot.

<Photo 1>

Then off to Ely, where Jay Barrett has nicely restored the former B&M depot. Sunshine was in and out of sucker holes prior to the train’s arrival and during one such hole, I noticed that there would be significant shadows on the train if the sun was actually out when it arrived – based on this late time of day (almost 1700 hrs). I then did the cloud dance for more balanced lighting. Grabbed a shot here in color and then black and white to end my day.

<Photo 2 and 3>

Enjoy!

Kevin B.

Date: 10/25/10 07:35
Re: Oct. 21: Amid Rain, Rare 2-unit Consist on WACR
Author: jerryheng

Thanks for posting, Kevin, these are really good. Have to admit, I'm a little partial to #2 - not that B&W is bad, far to the contrary, but the colors seem to work together really well in that second shot.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0361 seconds