Home Open Account Help 384 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Big Bridges, EMD's and a Sperry Car

Date: 10/22/10 18:16
Big Bridges, EMD's and a Sperry Car
Author: EMBell

I just finished a few shots taken way back on October 6th while we where on the way to the Smoky Mountains for a few days. We took the less than direct route and followed the NS down to Oakdale TN, and snagged a few. Traffic was unusually light, but we got lucky anyway.

Check the link for Ten new shots, including the New River Bridge, A slew of EMD"s at Oakdale and even a Sperry Car (still alive and kicking) in 2010 http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/nscs2nd2010

#1 NS 177 at New River TN

#2 SRS 145, looking good in fresh paint, is testing Southbound on #1 track at Oakdale, TN, passing a pair of trains waiting on crews.

E.M. Bell , KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY
Jreb.org NS group

Date: 10/22/10 19:00
Re: Big Bridges, EMD's and a Sperry Car
Author: agrafton

Like the Bridge shot, How far is that from Pigeon Forge? My wife and I will be down for the C&W Christmas shows in December.
Cool shot of the custard stand too.

alan, a grafton

Date: 10/22/10 20:44
Author: EMBell

Oakdale is maybe 1 1/2 or 2 hours from Pigeon Forge, depending how you go and traffic.

E.M. Bell , KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY
Jreb.org NS group

Date: 10/23/10 00:32
Author: john1082

Sperry car - two questions:

1. What is the name or phrase painted on the nose?
2. Why no front coupler? Or is that the rear coupler? Either way, why no coupler?

John Gezelius
Tustin, CA

Date: 10/23/10 07:52
Author: trails2rails

Isn't the reason the SRS cars and other contractor MOW machines don't have couplers is to "technically" classify them as "track cars" - so they can procede with a MOW driver as opposed to a train crew (engineer/conductor)?

Date: 10/23/10 08:17
Author: filmteknik

Brandt trucks often have and make use of couplers.

Date: 10/23/10 16:52
Author: halfmoonharold

Looks like it says "Bob McGuire".

Date: 10/23/10 19:45
Author: Gonut1

It does.
gonut

Date: 10/25/10 07:29
Author: jerryheng

Love the first shot, Mr. Bell, it reminds me of the NS trestle over the Grand River in Painesville OH from a height perspective.

Note to self: Get to Painesville...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0561 seconds