Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Wilkes-Barre, PA

Date: 06/16/11 12:29
Wilkes-Barre, PA
Author: OCtrainguy

I will be in Scranton during the summer, not sure when yet but will be up there. I was planning on heading to Wilkes-Barre to see the old CNJ station. With respect to the town itself and current rail activity, is it the ex-LV that is still used by the Canadian Pacific, NS 12T/13T and Reading & Northern? Was there an interchange between the Lehigh Valley and CNJ there? Any information would be appreciated, including current rail activity trends.

Date: 06/16/11 12:44
Re: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Author: resqjon

The Reading and Northern main line follows the ex-LV Mountain Cut-Off south (east) from Coxton Yard in Pittston, PA. The CP/NS trains to and from Allentown leave the CP Sunbury Sub. and enter the RBMN main at Dupont Jct. Both of the LV and CNJ passenger mains from Mountain Top, PA down the mountain to Wilkes-Barre are long gone. Portions of ex LV, CNJ, and D&H trackage in the city is still utilized by the Luzerne and Susquehanna Railway.

Jon

Date: 06/16/11 19:18

I was looking at Mapquest and Google maps at Wilkes-Barre to try to get a better look at the area with the information you provided. Not being familiar with the area, I don't know all of the places you have referenced. I see the old CNJ line through Wilkes-Barre. There looks like there is a rail line that crosses the river twice on the Kingston side of the river. Is that the line in service?

Date: 06/16/11 19:57
Author: toledopatch

The line that crosses the Susquehanna twice is the CP Sunbury line, formerly the Wilkes-Barre Connecting that linked the D&H with the PRR. The CP's daily Harrisburg train (usually NS power), its thrice-weekly Philly train, and its Sunbury local use this track, as do a pair of daily NS trackage-rights trains.

Date: 06/17/11 08:07

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. There looks to be a line rail that runs between I81 and I476. Would this be how the R&N trains get to Pittston?

I am looking to tie the respective lines to the Lehigh Gorge so I can see how they run from the park up through Wilkes-Barre and onto Scranton.

Date: 06/17/11 09:08
Author: wabash2800

If you are into seeing what current trackage is there and also the heritage, you might consider investing in a copy of the steam powered video maps. Look them up on the internet and order a copy as the maps usually also include locations for detectors, engine facilities, passenger stations and yards, among other things. There are also blow up maps for some cities etc.

Date: 06/17/11 10:45
Author: toledopatch

The track that goes up the hill out of Dupont Junction, passing under I-81 and then twisting around on the mountainside partly within sight of I-476, is indeed the R&N (ex-LV main). At Laurel Run it hops onto the CNJ alignment to go over the summit at Solomons Gap, then rejoins the LV route down at White Haven as it enters the Lehigh Gorge.

Date: 06/17/11 19:34

Again, thanks for the information. This is helpful to me and I am looking forward to exploring the area a bit when I get up there. I know I will be in the lower Lehigh Gorge in early July for some bicycling and train watching (when one comes) and know now how the current trains run from Lehighton to Scranton.

Date: 06/18/11 05:19
Author: Lackawanna484

OCtrainguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Again, thanks for the information. This is
> helpful to me and I am looking forward to
> exploring the area a bit when I get up there. I
> know I will be in the lower Lehigh Gorge in early
> July for some bicycling and train watching (when
> one comes) and know now how the current trains run
> from Lehighton to Scranton.

US 11 south between Scranton and W-B takes you past the entrance to Coxton / Pittston yard of the Reading & Northern. There's often a unit or a string of power sitting there. Better am light.

Date: 06/18/11 08:43

Thanks for that information, I'll keep it in mind as I have heard of a R&N local out of Pittston.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0542 seconds