Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Yemassee, SC Depot Renovation

Date: 08/09/11 14:22
Yemassee, SC Depot Renovation
Author: RFandPFan

Last year there was an announcement that the Town of Yemassee, SC wanted to buy the town's train station from CSX and restore it. This was part of a renovation of the small downtown area that was where thousands of Marine Corps recruits arrived to attend boot camp at nearby Parris Island. (See the link below). The station was in horrible shape. Earlier this year I noticed some signs of activity (a couple of porta-johns and some construction fencing). I went by today on a trip to Charleston and was surprised to see the almost-completed results.

http://www.islandpacket.com/2010/03/10/1168127/yemassee-buys-train-depot-the.html

Here are some "before" pictures from January this year...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/11 14:24 by RFandPFan.

Date: 08/09/11 14:23
Re: Yemassee, SC Depot Renovation

Here are the "after" photos taken today. What a difference!

Date: 08/09/11 14:57
Author: KV1guy

Looks great!!! Dont have much time to see it when making station stops there.

Date: 08/09/11 15:02
Author: emd_run8

Good Grief!!!!!
Tommy

Date: 08/09/11 15:18
Author: SantaFeRuss

What a transformation!

SantaFeRuss

Date: 08/09/11 15:36
Author: TrainChaser

I saw the new renovations today also for the first time when I went down there to ride the headend of #90 across my territory. I don't remember it looking anything like that last month. Looks great. Hopefully it'll help the town, they need it.

Tim Rich
S. Ogden, UT

Date: 08/09/11 18:13
Author: pwh

Boy do I remember Yamassee! Thats when all hell broke loose when I got off the southbound ACL train after midnight with a bunch of other guys on our way to Parris Island. We were herded onto chartered Greyhound buses that took us to the USMCRD.

Date: 08/10/11 12:34
Author: OHfrog

Restoration???Where is the old station?

Date: 08/10/11 14:57

OHfrog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Restoration???Where is the old station?

It's actually still in there. The interior of the old station is pretty much intact. You'd never know it from the outside.

Date: 08/10/11 17:39
Author: tomd

They did a good job.

There was a story in Life Magazine with a bunch of photo. I have attached one that shows the ACL (left to right) crossing the Charleston and Western Carolina

the rest of the photo can be found on google http://images.google.com/search?q=yemassee,+sc&q=source:life&biw=1366&bih=553&tbm=isch

Tom Daspit
Morgan Hill, CA
Tom's Trains

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0406 seconds